Crime & Safety

Shootings By LAPD Officers Surge In 2025: Chief

Officers have opened fire on people this year nearly as much as they did in all of 2024, according to the chief.

LOS ANGELES, CA — Los Angeles Police Department officers have opened fire on suspects 25 times so far this year, nearly matching the total for all of 2024, officials said Tuesday.

During Tuesday's Police Commission meeting, LAPD Chief Jim McDonnell said he asked the department's Critical Incident Review Division to examine officer-involved shooting cases from 2024 and 2025. The review found a rise in what he called "intermediate force" weapons — such as beanbag rounds or stun guns — which are designed to incapacitate suspects.

"This suggests that officers are actively attempting to de-escalate situations whenever possible, and are turning to intermediate force options in an effort to avoid using deadly force," McDonnell said.

Find out what's happening in Los Angelesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

One recent shooting occurred Monday in Boyle Heights, where officers shot a man holding a replica rifle.

Records from the department's website showed that officers have shot at roughly 21 people, resulting in the deaths of nine individuals. Investigations are ongoing, according to the department.

Find out what's happening in Los Angelesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Officers have opened fire on suspects four times in the past two weeks.

McDonnell noted that many of the shootings stemmed from calls for service where suspects were armed or appeared to be armed, making threat assessment difficult for officers in real-time.

In 2024, 10 incidents involved armed suspects, compared to seven so far in 2025, according to the chief.

"This data does not provide a complete answer, but it begins to shed light on some factors contributing to the rise in officer-involved shootings this year," McDonnell said. "We're continuing to study these incidents carefully, and are committed to transparency and accountability as we work to better understand these trends."

The chief also expressed concern about an increase in assaults on officers. He referenced a July 5 incident in the Exposition Park area in which an officer was shot in the legs and sustained a graze wound to the cheek during a shootout with a suspect later identified as 26-year-old Ernesto Sepulveda. The officer is expected to recover.

In another report, on July 10, a suspect led officers on a brief pursuit that ended downtown near the Crypto.com Arena. Gurpreet Singh, 36, had blocked an intersection and swung a machete.

Social media footage captured the moment when officers shot at Singh, who fell to the ground. He was transported to a local hospital for medical treatment.

Commissioner Teresa Sanchez-Gordon described the rise in police shootings as a "troubling trend."

The discussion came as the LAPD and elected officials recently touted that homicides were down this year. As of June 28, LAPD recorded 116 homicides compared to 152 in the same period last year.

City News Service