Crime & Safety

Wanted Child Molestation Suspect Surrenders In Newport Beach

The 42-year-old allegedly attempted to sexually assault a sleeping girl in Orange County.

ORANGE COUNTY, CA -- A 42-year-old man accused of trying to molest an underage girl in Irvine on March 23 surrendered to authorities today.

Robert Tana of Garden Grove turned himself in at the Harbor Justice Center in Newport Beach, according to Farrah Emami of the Irvine Police Department.

Police allege that Tana snuck into the bedroom of a teen while she was sleeping to sexually assault her, but she managed to fight him off.

Find out what's happening in Newport Beach-Corona Del Marfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Tana was staying overnight at the girl's home, where he was an acquaintance of one of the residents, Emami said.

A $1 million warrant had been issued for Tana's arrest on a charge of lewd and lascivious acts on a child, Emami said.

Find out what's happening in Newport Beach-Corona Del Marfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Previous: Area Cops Seek Public's Help Locating Molestation Suspect

Also see: Convicted Molester Re-Sentenced To 11 Years For Crimes Against Autistic O.C. Boy. The victim's grandmothers are outraged the sentence was cut from 36-to-life issued in 2014, calling today's ruling "insulting and absurd.''

--City News Service