Crime & Safety

Mental Competency Questions Halt Proceedings For Suspected Serial Arsonist

The 61 year old from Sonoma County will have a hearing Aug. 6 to determine if he can understand the criminal proceedings against him.

Criminal proceedings were suspended in Sonoma County Superior Court today against a Santa Rosa man suspected of starting several grass and vegetation fires near his home since late last month.

James Timothy Raymond, 61, will be examined by a doctor to determine whether he is mentally competent to understand the criminal proceedings against him. Raymond is charged with 10 counts of arson and is being held on $50,000 bail in Sonoma County Jail.

A hearing on his competence is scheduled for Aug. 6.

Find out what's happening in Rohnert Park-Cotatifor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Santa Rosa police arrested Raymond on July 4 after nine fires had been set in the Marlow and Guerneville roads area of west Santa Rosa between June 29 and July 4. Raymond posted bail and was released July 7.

Firefighters responded to three more fires in the Marlow Road area just before midnight July 7 and 3:40 a.m. July 8. Santa Rosa police detectives and fire investigators found a video from a nearby business that showed Raymond close to one of the three active fires, police Sgt. Josh Ludtke said.

Find out what's happening in Rohnert Park-Cotatifor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Raymond was arrested July 10 in the Marlow and Guerneville roads area, and he later admitted starting one of the fires, Ludtke said.

Thirteen fires in all occurred in that area over the two-week period. Many of the fires were near residential structures and one was 100 yards from Raymond’s home, Ludtke said.

None of the fires occurred during the times Raymond was in custody, Ludtke said.

--Bay City News

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.