Crime & Safety
Rohnert Park Man Accused of Attempted Kidnapping, Sexual Assault of Girl, 13
The man had been hanging out in the area of Technology Middle School for the past few weeks, according to public safety officers.

A Rohnert Park man is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday afternoon in Sonoma County Superior Court for an alleged attempted kidnapping and sexual battery of a 13-year-old girl Friday.
The girl told Rohnert Park Department of Public Safety officers she was walking home from school around 3:15 p.m. when she tripped and fell near the intersection of Adrian Drive and Southwest Boulevard.
The girl said a man grabbed her ankle before she could get up and began dragging her, but she was able to escape. The sexual battery occurred during the confrontation, public safety officers said.
Find out what's happening in Rohnert Park-Cotatifor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The girl was not injured and ran home. Officers detained the suspect, identified as Joseph Muthama, 53, according to the department.
Muthama had been hanging out in the area of Technology Middle School at 7165 Burton Ave. for the past few weeks, public safety officers said.
Find out what's happening in Rohnert Park-Cotatifor free with the latest updates from Patch.
He has past contacts with law enforcement for minor offenses, and his mental capacity might be a factor in the alleged assault, which is believed to be an isolated incident, according to the department.
Muthama was booked into Sonoma County Jail under $150,000 bail on suspicion of attempted kidnapping and sexual battery. His arraignment is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
--Bay City News Service, photo via Shutterstock
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.