San Diego, CA
News Feed
Events
Local Businesses
Classifieds
Crime & Safety

5 Dead, Including 2 Teen Suspects, In San Diego Mosque Shooting

"This is a city and a community's absolute worst nightmare," the police chief said.

| Updated
Police stage at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

SAN DIEGO, CA — A shooting rampage at the Islamic Center of San Diego left three adult victims and two teenage suspects dead Monday, authorities said.

Officers arrived within four minutes of a reported shooting to find three men dead outside the mosque at the center at 7050 Eckstrom Ave. in the Clairemont neighborhood of San Diego, according to the San Diego Police Department.

Subscribe

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said during a news conference Monday afternoon that one of the victims was an on-duty security guard. The suspects, believed to be 17 and 18 years old, appeared to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, Wahl said.

"This is a city and a community's absolute worst nightmare," Wahl said.

Three law enforcement officials identified the suspects as Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez, according to NBC News.

A family friend identified the guard as Amin Abdullah, a well-known face at the mosque who had been working there for more than a decade.

"He wanted to defend the innocent so he decided to become a security guard," Shaykh Uthman Ibn Farooq, who had spoken with Abdullah's son, told The Associated Press. The family could not immediately be reached for comment.

Officers received reports of an active shooter at about 11:43 a.m. and arrived at the center by 11:47 a.m., according to the department. After finding the victims outside the building, police said officers immediately deployed into the Islamic Center and the adjacent school.

Police received additional calls at 11:52 a.m. reporting gunfire a couple of blocks away near the 7100 block of Salerno Street, where a landscaper was reportedly shot at. Wahl said the victim may have been shot in the helmet, which deflected the bullet and saved his life.

A few minutes later, officers were called to the 3800 block of Hatton Street, where they found the two teenage suspects dead inside a vehicle in the roadway, according to police.

By 12:44 p.m., the department said the scene was "still active but contained." Police said at 1:06 p.m. that the threat had been "neutralized."

"We have significant resources on scene at this time," the department posted on the social platform X.

Police stage at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego. Credit: AP Photo/Gregory Bull

The Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, according to its website. The campus includes the Al Rashid School, which offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran.

No children from the school or officers were injured, police said. The identities of the victims were not released.

Other schools in the area were impacted as police set up a perimeter, according to multiple reports.

Five San Diego Unified schools were placed on lockdown, Fox5 San Diego reported. Clairemont Canyon, Lafayette Elementary, Kearny High School, Ross Elementary and Sequoia Elementary were placed on lockdowns that were later lifted.

A reunification spot for people displaced by the shooting was established at the San Diego Clairemont Seventh-Day Adventist Church at 4125 Hathaway St.

The case was being investigated as a hate crime. Wahl said that "hate rhetoric" was involved.

Police said that one of the suspects had been reported as a runaway about two hours before the mosque shooting occurred.

The juvenile's mother believed her son was suicidal and shared information that several of her weapons were missing, along with her vehicle, according to police. She said her son was with a friend, and they were dressed in camouflage.

Mayor Todd Gloria condemned the attack during the news conference.

"Hate has no home in San Diego. Islamophobia has no home in San Diego," Gloria said. "An attack on any San Diegan is an attack on all San Diegans, and we will not stand for it in America's Finest City."

The Council on American-Islamic Relations and its San Diego office also condemned the shooting.

"We strongly condemn this horrifying act of violence at the Islamic Center of San Diego," CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam said in a statement sent to Patch. "Our thoughts are with everyone impacted by this attack. No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school. We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers."

People stand behind police tape at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego. Credit: AP Photo/Gregory Bull

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that his Office of Emergency Services was coordinating with local law enforcement on responses to the shooting.

"California sends our deepest condolences to the families and communities impacted by today's shooting," Newsom said in a statement. "Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives. Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith."

The FBI is working with local police as the attack and motive for the shooting remain under investigation.

"I want to thank our local law enforcement partners for their quick response that undoubtedly saved the additional loss of life," said Mark Remily, special agent in charge of the FBI San Diego Field Office.

The FBI is seeking information on the shooting. Anyone with information was asked to call 1-800-CALL-FBI or visit FBI.gov.

"The FBI is meticulously assessing the situation and is prepared to employ every resource we have to uncover the facts of this incident," Remily said. "No community should have to go through such a tragic incident, but we will work tirelessly until we learn the truth."

Out of an abundance of caution, police were stepping up patrols at houses of worship across the city of San Diego, Gloria said.

Deputies were also increasing patrols at houses of worship throughout the San Diego County Sheriff's Office jurisdiction.

Authorities urged the public to avoid the area.

The northbound and southbound Interstate 805 on- and off-ramps to Balboa Avenue were closed due to police activity, according to the California Highway Patrol.

As of 4 p.m., road closures remained in place in the area.

Balboa Avenue was closed in both directions between Canning Drive and Ruffner Street. Charger Boulevard was closed from Boxford Drive to Balboa Avenue. Eckstrom Avenue was closed from Balboa Avenue to Ashford Street. Ashford Street was closed from Eckstrom Avenue to Marlesta Drive. Hathaway Street was closed from Eckstrom Avenue to Petit Street. Bautista Street was closed from Hatton Street to Biddle Street.

All road closures were lifted shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday.

More California News:

The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.

More from San Diego, CA
News | 30m
News | 2h
News | 6h
See more on Patch >

Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
San Diego, CA Patch

Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.

©2026 Patch Media. All Rights Reserved

Do Not Sell My Personal Information