SAN DIEGO, CA — A shooting rampage at the Islamic Center of San Diego left three victims and two suspects dead Monday, authorities said.
Five people were killed at the Islamic Center of San Diego, officials announced during a news conference Monday afternoon. The victims included three men, according to Mark Remily, special agent in charge of the FBI San Diego Field Office.
One of the victims was a security guard who worked at the center, according to the San Diego Police Department.
The suspects, believed to be 17 and 19 years old, appeared to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
"I want to thank our local law enforcement partners for their quick response that undoubtedly saved the additional loss of life," Remily said.
The gunfire erupted around 11:40 a.m. at the center at 7050 Eckstrom Ave. in the Clairemont neighborhood of San Diego, according to the department.
The San Diego office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations confirmed that at least one member of the mosque was killed.
A man who lives near the mosque told CBS8 that he heard two bursts of gunfire, possibly as many as 30 shots in all, sounding to him like high-caliber ammunition discharging.
By 12:44 p.m., the San Diego Police Department said the scene was "still active but contained." Police said at 1:06 p.m. that the threat had been "neutralized."
"We have significant resources on scene at this time," the department posted on the social platform X.
The Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, according to its website. The campus includes the Al Rashid School, which offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran.
Schools were evacuated from the area as police set up a perimeter, according to multiple reports.
Five San Diego Unified schools were impacted and placed on lockdown, Fox5 San Diego reported. Clairemont Canyon, Lafayette Elementary, Kearny High School, Ross Elementary and Sequoia Elementary were placed on lockdowns that were later lifted.
A reunification spot for people displaced by the shooting was established at the San Diego Clairemont Seventh-Day Adventist Church at 4125 Hathaway St.
Mayor Todd Gloria condemned the attack during the news conference.
"Hate has no place in the city of San Diego," Gloria said. "And when it happens and when a crime of any nature occurs, we will hold you accountable."
The Council on American-Islamic Relations and its San Diego office also condemned the shooting.
"We strongly condemn this horrifying act of violence at the Islamic Center of San Diego," CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam said in a statement sent to Patch. "Our thoughts are with everyone impacted by this attack. No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school. We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers."
Gov. Gavin Newsom's office said he was briefed on the situation.
"We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities," his office posted on X.
The attack and motive for the shooting remains under investigation.
"The FBI is meticulously assessing the situation and is prepared to employ every resource we have to uncover the facts of this incident," Remily said. "No community should have to go through such a tragic incident, but we will work tirelessly until we learn the truth."
Authorities closed the Interstate 805 northbound and southbound on and off-ramps to Balboa Avenue due to police activity, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Authorities urged the public to avoid the area.
More California News:
City News Service contributed to this report.
Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
San Diego, CA Patch
Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.