Crime & Safety
San Diego Mosque Shooting: Victims, Heroes ID'd In Deadly Rampage That Killed 3
On Tuesday, Islamic community leaders were calling for more security at mosques throughout the country following the attack.

SAN DIEGO, CA — Three people who were killed when two teenagers opened fire at a mosque in San Diego on Monday have been identified, including a security guard who was being hailed as a hero for preventing the loss of more victims in the deadly rampage.
The security guard killed in the shooting at San Diego's largest mosque on Monday was identified Amin Abdullah, a father of eight, said Tazheen Nizam, a spokeswoman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations-San Diego (Cair-SD), the BBC reported.
"The security guard was able to help minimize the situation to the front area of the mosque," San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said during a news conference on Monday.
Find out what's happening in San Diegofor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"It's fair to say his actions were heroic. Undoubtedly, he saved lives today."
The council identified the additional two victims as Mansour Kaziha and Nader Awad, who were worshippers at the mosque.
Find out what's happening in San Diegofor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Kaziha, known as Abu Ezz, was a community leader who managed the mosque's store for nearly four decades, according to CAIR. He was a husband, father and grandfather.
Awad also ushered people away from gunfire, CAIR said.
RELATED: Deadly Attack At San Diego Islamic Center: 5 Things To Know
On Monday, Islamic Center of San Diego posted a statement on its Facebook page:
"Our beloved security guard who gave his life protecting the children and community members of our masjid. A courageous man who put himself on the line for the safety of others, who even in his last moments did not stop protecting our community."
A family friend told the Associated Press that Abdullah had worked at the mosque for more than a decade.
"He wanted to defend the innocent so he decided to become a security guard," Shaykh Uthman Ibn Farooq, told the Associated Press.
"It didn't matter who walked up... any random person could just walk up and, like, [Abdullah] would greet them, make sure they are OK," Sam Hamideh told CBS News.
Hamideh said he knew Abdullah from the mosque and described him as a person who would be remembered for his kindness.
As of 10 a.m. Tuesday, an online fundraiser for Abdullah had raised more than $1.8 million.
Three law enforcement officials identified the suspects as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, according to NBC News.
Police said that one of the suspects had been reported as a runaway about two hours before gunfire erupted at the mosque.
On Tuesday, the national arm of the Council on American-Islamic Relations called on leaders to provide more security for mosques throughout the country.
In a statement, CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad said:
"This horrific terror attack is the deadly consequence of years of anti-Muslim hate, demonization and dangerous rhetoric targeting American Muslims and other marginalized communities. Mosques and Islamic institutions across the country are facing heightened threats, and local law enforcement agencies must act immediately to increase patrols and coordinate with community leaders to help protect worshipers. We also urge elected officials and public figures to stop fueling hatred and division that inevitably inspire acts of violence."
Police said the shooting remains under investigation, but preliminary evidence indicated "hate" played a role in the attack.
Patch Local Editor Kristina Houck contributed to this report.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.