Crime & Safety
Santa Monica Bus Shooting Victim Identified: Coroner
The bus driver drove three gunshot victims to the Santa Monica police headquarters after the incident.

SANTA MONICA, CA – The name of the woman killed in a deadly shooting near two different tour buses at the Santa Monica Pier was released Sunday. No arrests have been made. Deommi De La Cruz, 28, of Compton, was killed, Investigator Rudy Molano of the coroner's office said.
Police asked for public help Sunday to find the two or three people who shot and killed one woman, and wounded two others, aboard a bus parked near the Santa Monica Pier.
Shots started firing just before 1 a.m. Saturday at Ocean Avenue and Colorado Boulevard, the Santa Monica Police Department reported. A bus containing a large group of people was parked along Ocean Avenue, when several people exited and got into an altercation with people who had been in another bus, also parked on Ocean Avenue.
Find out what's happening in Santa Monicafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Several suspects fired into the first bus, striking three victims and a fourth person on the street. The suspects jumped over a railing toward the cliff above Pacific Coast Highway, police said.
The bus driver pulled out and drove several blocks to the Santa Monica police headquarters, with three gunshot victims onboard.
Find out what's happening in Santa Monicafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The three victims were transported to an area hospital, where De La Cruz died from a gunshot wound. Two were listed with stable life signs at an area hospital.
A fourth victim suffered minor injuries and was not hospitalized.
The tunnel linking the westbound Santa Monica (10) Freeway to Pacific Coast Highway was closed by the California Highway Patrol during the initial search for the suspects. It was reopened at 3:45 a.m. Saturday.
The two groups were not traveling together but some passengers may have known each other, Santa Monica police Lt. Saul Rodriguez told the Los Angeles Times.
"I did hear that maybe one of the parties may have have recognized them from a previous encounter," Rodriguez told the newspaper. "Like they've known each other from some prior run-in possibly."
A GoFundMe fundraiser has been set up by the victim's family. They're hoping to raise $15,000 to pay for funeral costs as well as taking care of De La Cruz's 2-year-old daughter, who is now in their care.
"Senseless gun violence robbed me of a daughter and my granddaughter of a mother," Tomiekia Falconer-De La Cruz wrote on the fundraiser page. "My family is devastated as we attempt to cope with our new reality. A life without my baby girl."
Santa Monica police asked anyone with any information regarding the shooting to call them at (310) 458-8495.
City News Service and Patch staffer Emily Holland contributed to this post; Image via GoFundMe
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.