Crime & Safety
1 Dead, Gunman Among 3 Wounded In Santa Rosa Shooting
A gunman opened fire at the home of his estranged wife, killing one and injuring two others, including a 4-year-old boy, police said.
SANTA ROSA, CA — Police now say that a Colorado man believed responsible for a deadly shooting Sunday night at the Santa Rosa home of his estranged wife, his son and his son's family was carrying with him "improvised explosive devices" in addition to two handguns. A homemade bomb was also found in alleged gunman Walter Ross' car which was parked within walking distance from his wife's home in the 400 block of Garfield Park Avenue, Santa Rosa police Lt. John Cregan said.
One person was killed and three people were wounded when Ross, 65, arrived unexpectedly at the home at about 8 p.m. Sunday and began shooting, according to police. Ross' estranged wife was not home, but his son, son's wife and his grandchildren who also live at the residence were home and had dinner guests, Cregan said.
"The victim who passed away at the scene was identified as 43-year-old Santa Rosa resident Timothy Gillaspie," Cregan said. "Gillaspie was there at the residence with his wife and 11 and 14-year-old sons. Timothy Gillaspie and his family were visiting friends at the residence, and they have no connection to Walter Ross."
Find out what's happening in Sonoma Valleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The second and third gunshot victims were Ross’ 41-year-old son and his 4-year-old grandson, the lieutenant said.
"They were each stuck by rounds as they fled the residence," Cregan said. "Each of these victims are in stable condition and have been released from the hospital."
Find out what's happening in Sonoma Valleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Ross, whom police believe suffered from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, remained in critical condition Monday with injuries considered life-threatening.
Gunshots were first reported at about 8:04 p.m. Sunday at the home in the 400 block of Garfield Park Avenue. As officers arrived at the scene, a woman inside of the residence called 911 and said she was hiding in a bathroom, Cregan said.
The officers heard a single gunshot come from the home but were not sure if the shot was directed at them or someone inside, Cregan said.
"The officers attempted to communicate with the occupants of the residence, but were unable to speak to anyone," Cregan said.
A Sonoma County Sheriff's Office SWAT team was nearby and was deployed to the scene on Garfield Park, where a plan was coordinated to rescue those inside the home.
As officers and deputies entered the home they found two men with gunshot wounds: one was dead and the other alive but unresponsive, Cregan said. They also encountered a woman and brought her to safety outside.
"It was later discovered that seven other victims fled the residence as the initial shots were being fired," Cregan said. "The investigation revealed that two of the occupants had been shot as they fled the residence."
"Ross’ son and daughter-in-law instead were having friends over for dinner," Cregan said. "Ross fired multiple rounds from a handgun at the victims inside of the residence and struck three of the victims with the rounds."
Ross' son and grandson were taken by ambulance to a hospital, as was Ross.
The 400 block of Garfield Park was closed overnight and into Monday as Santa Rosa police detectives and field evidence technicians processed the scene.
"Santa Rosa Police Detectives have worked throughout the night conducting interviews and processing the scene of the homicide and attempted homicides on Garfield Park Avenue," Cregan said late Monday afternoon. "Officers at the scene discovered a vehicle which belongs to the suspect Walter Ross. The vehicle was parked on Oak Park Avenue which is within walking distance of the residence where the shooting occurred. Officers examined the vehicle and observed an improvised explosive device inside the passenger area of the vehicle. The device was connected to a gas can and appeared to be set to explode if the door of the vehicle was opened by an officer. The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Department Bomb Squad responded to the scene to assist and safely destroyed the device."
Further examination of the crime scene, Cregan said, revealed that Ross had taken five additional improvised explosive devices into the residence on Garfield Park Avenue.
"The devices were contained in a bag Ross was carrying. Ross was armed with two loaded handguns as he entered the residence," Cregan said.
"Detectives are still seeking any information regarding Walter Ross and his whereabouts prior to the shooting," Cregan said. "If you have any information please call the Violent Crimes Team at 707-543 -3590."
Lead photo: Shutterstock.com
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.