Business & Tech
Bridgeport Casino Plan Moves Forward Out Of Committee: Update
The measure has experienced a rollercoaster ride in recent days.

This story was updated at 8:05 p.m. on March 16, 2018, to include new information on the committee decision:
BRIDGEPORT, CT — Even after state Attorney General George Jepsen said the possible project would not jeopardize current funding agreements with Native American tribes, the General Assembly’s Public Safety and Security Committee nearly quashed a Bridgeport casino plan Thursday night, reports the Connecticut Post.
But the measure was placed on the committee's agenda, and was approved Friday, sending it to a vote before the state House.
Find out what's happening in Bridgeportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The committee had decided not to move the proposal forward, which would have opened the door for bids for a new casino in the city, but also scuttled a plan by the Mohegan and Mashantucket Pequot tribes to build a casino in East Windsor.
However, discussion at the caucus level eventually led to the committee approving by voice vote to place it on the agenda. And when the full committee voted, the plan to cancel the East Windsor casino was removed.
Find out what's happening in Bridgeportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
City of Bridgeport spokesperson Av Harris told Patch earlier on Friday that local leaders would not give up on the proposal, and Mayor Ganim praised those efforts.
"The bill is not defeated yet. We are determined to push for a committee vote on this important economic development agenda item for the state. If it fails in committee, then it fails. But it should at least get a fair chance at a vote," wrote Harris in an email to Patch.
Click here to read the full story on the Connecticut Post website.
Image via Shutterstock
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.