Politics & Government
Enfield Train Station Project May Be In Jeopardy
Gov. Dannel Malloy warned Wednesday that $4.3 billion in DOT projects could be postponed indefinitely.

ENFIELD, CT — The future of a proposed train station in the Thompsonville section of Enfield may be in jeopardy, following an announcement by Gov. Dannel Malloy that Department of Transportation projects may be postponed indefinitely.
Malloy warned Wednesday that $4.3 billion in DOT projects could be postponed indefinitely unless more money is added to the Special Transportation Fund. The fund is set to be in a deficit by July 1, 2018 if no action is taken. It funds the state's transportation system, including the DOT and all the services it provides.
The proposed addition of a train station on North River Street would be among the projects affected. Funding for improvements and additions to the Hartford railroad line, including Enfield, Windsor and Newington, amounts to just over $400 million.
Find out what's happening in Enfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Another Enfield project in jeopardy is repairs to Orlando Drive over Beemans Brook, which is budgeted at $556,263.50.
See the full list of affected projects here.
Find out what's happening in Enfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"If Connecticut does not take the necessary action to allow us to restart these vital projects, not only will it put the state's infrastructure into a further state of disrepair, it will hurt our economy," Malloy said.
State Representative Tony Guerrera, who co-chairs the Transportation Committee, suggested instituting tolls or finding another stable source of revenue to avert the mass project shutdown.
"This isn't a problem that can be punted until future years. Connecticut needs immediate action," DOT Commissioner James Redeker said. "As Gov. Malloy noted last month, the solvency of the Special Transportation Fund is in doubt without new revenues. In real terms, that means we need to postpone indefinitely important projects today."
Senate Republican President Pro Tempore Len Fasano said that the state's transportation woes didn't come out of nowhere and that Malloy and Democrats took $164 million over the past four years from Special Transportation Fund to balance budgets.
"Now, Gov. Malloy and Democrats are trying to use the problem they created to force the legislature to approve new taxes and more burdens on commuters," Fasano said. "That has been their game plan all along."
Patch Editor Rich Scinto contributed to this story.
Photo credit: Tim Jensen
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.