Community Corner
Work Begins to Spruce Up Controversial Enfield Culvert
Town officials acted in response to residents' concerns over a recent refurbishing of a culvert on Bridge Lane.

ENFIELD, CT — A culvert abutment that had been the subject of complaints from residents of Bridge Lane will soon have a new stone facing, according to Town Manager Christopher Bromson.
A contract to apply stone face to the abutments has been awarded to Better Stones, LLC, an East Hartford company. The contractor began work Wednesday, Bromson said.
Better Stones was chosen from among three quotes that were submitted. Because its bid was under the town’s limit of $15,000, the work was able to be awarded without going through the more time-consuming formal bid process, Bromson said.
Find out what's happening in Enfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
In late October, a petition was circulated in the neighborhood protesting the installation of a guardrail and concrete wall, which area property owners claimed would negatively affect "the beauty of the neighborhood."
"Through the diligence of the Department of Public Works, the Finance Department, the Town Manager’s Office, and the backing of the Town Council, we were able to work with residents to understand their concerns and come up with a solution," Department of Public Works Director Donald Nunes said.
Find out what's happening in Enfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Weather permitting, the contractor anticipates completion of the stone facing in February, Bromson said.
Photo courtesy of Leah Hurst
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.