Community Corner

Coronavirus Fairfield: Events Canceled Across Town

Fairfield's Parks and Recreation Department, senior center and police department have all announced cancellations.

FAIRFIELD, CT — Events across Fairfield are being canceled amid the spread of the new coronavirus. First Selectwoman Brenda Kupchick in a message Tuesday discouraged residents from attending mass gatherings and warned of the coming cancellations.

The Parks and Recreation Department said Wednesday on Facebook that it had called off many programs, leagues and special events in March and April, including Tuesday's St. Patrick's Day concert and the Beach Bunny 5K planned for April 11.

The Bigelow Center for Senior Activities will temporarily suspend all programs as of Monday, according to an email Wednesday from the center. Human and social services department staff will be on-site during the closure, to assist with any concerns that may arise and to provide case management services. The center is making arrangements to home-deliver lunch each weekday to participants in the subsidized congregate lunch program. Participants can call 203-256-3166 or email Senior Center Director Amy O'Donnell at aodonnell@fairfieldct.org for more information.

Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Also Wednesday, Fairfield police announced on Facebook all fingerprinting and car seat installation appointments were canceled through April 1, and that more cancellations were possible. Residents can reschedule appointments at www.fpdct.com.

To sign up for Fairfield breaking news alerts and more, click here.

Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Fairfield Superintendent Mike Cummings said in an online message Tuesday that school-wide assemblies and out-of-district field trips are on hold, large group events will be postponed and outside groups will not be allowed to use school district facilities after Sunday. The measures are in effect until at least April 18.

On Monday, Sacred Heart University announced it was canceling all major campus events and switching to online-only classes through March 29.

So far, three Connecticut residents have been diagnosed with the coronavirus. The governor has declared a state of emergency. Cummings said in the message Tuesday that residents can assume the virus is being actively transmitted in Fairfield.

For more information, visit bit.ly/38Da1dO or bit.ly/2TVL7AJ.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.