Crime & Safety
Decision Reached On Modification Of Scott Bartlett's Fairfield Fill Pile Sentence
The defendant filed a motion with the court to have his prison sentence reduced.

BRIDGEPORT, CT — A Superior Court judge in Bridgeport on Thursday reduced the prison sentence of Scott Bartlett, the convicted former public works superintendent from the Fairfield fill pile case, by a year, essentially claiming that the original sentence was a bit harsh.
Bartlett, 63, was sentenced to five years in prison in December 2023, so with the modification handed down by Judge Tracy Lee Dayton, Bartlett will now serve four years, still the longest prison sentence of the seven defendants in the sprawling illegal dumping and corruption case. Bartlett filed a motion in April for a reduction in his sentence, and his attorney, Fred Paoletti, argued for his client's release after the more than one year he has served.
Dayton's total original sentence to Bartlett had been 15 years in prison, suspended after five years served. Additionally, he must serve five years of probation, and is also required to make restitution payments totaling $1 million to the town for the harm caused. The only aspect that Dayton modified was the amount of time Bartlett must spend in prison.
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Bartlett's original sentence included a concurrent sentence for a larceny case that he pleaded guilty to, which involved money that he stole from a woman, who the court referred to as "K.G." Bartlett had served as the disabled woman's conservator, and he was accused of stealing more than $30,000 from her accounts, which he controlled.
Bartlett repaid the money, and Dayton said that she was shaving off a year of that sentence, not the portion for the environmental crimes he committed against Fairfield. As such, he will serve four years in prison, not five, as mentioned above.
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"He took advantage of someone he shouldn't have taken advantage of, but K.G. is struggling without him in her life," Dayton said, adding that Bartlett was a second father for the woman, whose biological father had died.
Read More:
- Bartlett Guilty Of 8 Charges In First Fairfield Fill Pile Trial
- As Fairfield's Fill Pile Case Winds Down, An Update On The Defendants
- Michelangelo Sentenced To Prison In Fairfield Fill Pile Case
- Developer Jason Julian Sentenced To Prison In Fairfield Fill Pile Case
- Robert Grabarek Sentenced In Fairfield Fill Pile Case
During Thursday's hearing, Bartlett's attorney, Fred Paoletti, argued that Bartlett has a "stellar record," according to the Department of Correction, and he "accepts responsibility and rehabilitation efforts."
Paoletti also argued that prison sentences for defendants Bartlett's age can have an adverse impact on life expectancy, and that reducing the sentence could help the town, because Bartlett is forfeiting 50 percent of his pension for 20 years to pay the $1 million in restitution.
Bartlett, who was at the hearing in a tan prison outfit with his wrists and ankles cuffed through the whole proceeding, said that he was "truly sorry" for his actions, which have negatively impacted the town, its residents, his family, who were also in attendance on Thursday, and the public works employees he oversaw.
"I've learned a lot while in prison," Bartlett said, "and I hope to be able to get out to redeem myself."

— Bridgeport Superior Courthouse. Photo Credit: Alfred Branch/Patch
First Selectman Bill Gerber was having none of it, and read a statement to the judge in which he said that Bartlett's crimes are costing the town millions, including more than $10 million to remediate the contaminated soil under the Penfield Pavilion, and more than $10 million to clean up dozens of sites throughout town where toxic fill was spread around.
Additionally, Gerber said that the town has still not negotiated a resolution for the massive fill pile itself, which has 182,000 tons of contaminated material. If the town has to remove it all to another facility out of state, it could cost the town $100 million, he said.
"Mr. Bartlett abused the trust of our residents, as both a Department of Public Works employee and a high-profile member of our community," Gerber said. "His actions and the actions of others contributed to the contamination of over 40 sites in our town, including parks and fields where young children play, dogs are walked, and where his own colleagues work. Public trust in local government has been irreparably damaged by Mr. Bartlett and his co-conspirators’ actions."
Senior Assistant State's Attorney Tamberlyn Chapman argued that Bartlett's sentence had been negotiated "over several months" as a plea agreement, and as such there was nothing Bartlett or his attorney could say now to warrant a reduction.
"There is no good cause to modify this sentence," Chapman said. "There was nothing in the plea agreement that said this should be revisited."
Following the hearing, a spokesperson for the State's Attorney's Office said it did not favor the ruling.
"The state argued for the court not to modify the sentence, so we are disappointed that the court reduced the sentencing terms of the plea agreement," the spokesperson said.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.