Politics & Government
Fairfield's $25 Million Spending Plan Advances
Fairfield's plan for nearly $25 million in federal funds was approved Monday by the Board of Selectmen — but not unanimously.

FAIRFIELD, CT — Fairfield’s spending plan for nearly $25 million in federal funds was approved Monday by the Board of Selectmen — but not unanimously.
The town will receive $24.83 million over two years as part of the American Rescue Plan Act, introduced in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. The act allocated over $65 billion to municipalities throughout the country and $2.55 billion to Connecticut towns and cities.
Fairfield’s plan for the money, introduced in July by First Selectwoman Brenda Kupchick, advanced Monday in a 2-1 vote along party lines, with Nancy Lefkowitz, the sole Democrat, dissenting. The plan will go to the Board of Finance for approval Tuesday before it is sent to the Representative Town Meeting for a final vote Monday.
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
During the Board of Selectmen meeting, Lefkowitz expressed apprehension about appropriating $3 million for paving and sidewalk repair.
“The paving has been the thing I keep coming back to,” Lefkowitz said, adding she would prefer the town use the funds to help vulnerable residents by prioritizing items such as affordable housing. “I would rather see (the paving) in our operational budget down the line.”
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Kupchick and Selectman Tom Flynn responded that spending federal money on the roadwork would keep the town’s debt service down by preventing Fairfield from using bonds to cover the cost of the work.
“Our paving program is significantly behind where it needs to be,” Flynn said.
Kupchick characterized the project as “catch up” work.
Lefkowitz motioned to remove the paving line item from the appropriation vote, but neither Flynn nor Kupchick seconded.
Earlier in the meeting, Kupchick said town bodies had the option to remove line items, but that projects could not be added back into the spending plan.
“We spent literally hundreds of hours putting together this list in a way that works in the parameters of the guidelines, tried to hit every sort of box throughout our community,” Kupchick said.
Also during Monday’s meeting, Kupchick reduced the appropriations from the full $24.83 million granted by the federal government to $24.79 million. The adjustment was due to a reduction in the projected cost of fiber optic work for the town and schools, and the addition of funding for a flood erosion study, free outdoor Fairfield Theatre Co. concerts and the digitization of town records.
Money that is not immediately appropriated will remain in a general fund and must be obligated by December 2024.
The town received 142 emails from residents about various aspects of the spending plan, including 88 supporting improvements at the intersection of Stratfield and Fairfield Woods roads, for which $450,000 is set aside. The town’s sustainability task force and Flood and Erosion Control Board also submitted comments detailing their priorities for the money.
For a full list and detailed explanations of the appropriations, visit bit.ly/2XFw04A.
Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated which roadwork line item Lefkowitz motioned to remove. She motioned to remove $3 million for paving and sidewalk repair.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.