Schools

2 New COVID-19 Cases Reported Within Greenwich Public Schools

With cases remaining low, public schools across Greenwich will participate in Gov. Ned Lamont's new "Screen and Stay" initiative.

GREENWICH, CT — COVID-19 cases continue to remain low within Greenwich Public Schools, according to the latest update from the school district.

On Friday, GPS reported two new cases since Tuesday; the COVID-19 tracker is updated twice per week.

There are currently four active cases — all students — affecting three schools; two cases at Eastern Middle School, and one each at Julian Curtiss School and Parkway School. Three of them can be traced to outside activities or family, and one is undetermined.

Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Overall since school began on Sept. 1, there have been 91 COVID-19 cases among students, faculty and staff.

Weekly cases totals have stayed in the single digits since the end of September.

Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"The GPS COVID tracker has looked encouraging, as we have posted 12 straight updates of single-digit cases," said GPS spokesperson Jason Supranowitz. "While we continue to remind our families and staff to complete the COVID-19 Symptom Self Checklist before attending school each day, they deserve all of the credit for continuing to follow all of our mitigation strategies to keep our students, and themselves, safe."

Earlier this week, Gov. Ned Lamont announced the rollout of the "Screen and Stay" initiative for Connecticut schools that choose to participate.

Under the program, students and staff who have had close contact to a COVID-19 case but who are not yet fully vaccinated will be able to remain in school if they were wearing masks and don't develop symptoms.

Currently, such unvaccinated students are not allowed back in school until after a period of quarantine.

Supranowitz said the initiative will be instituted district-wide, but not until the week of Nov. 15. The district will update all staff and families next week on the guidelines, Supranowitz said.

Lamont's announcement comes on the heels of the Pfizer vaccine getting approved for children ages 5-11.

View the entire GPS COVID-19 tracker.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.