Crime & Safety
Police To Have Continued Presence Around District: Greenwich Schools
Greenwich Public Schools said police are aware of false reports involving active shooters in other districts around the state on Friday.

GREENWICH, CT — The Greenwich Public Schools District said police are aware of the hoax threats involving active shooters that have been reported in other districts around the state.
"Greenwich Police Department is aware and is monitoring the situation very closely," GPS said in a tweet Friday morning. "They will continue to have a strong presence at our school buildings, consistent with our safety and security plan for 2022-2023."
Late last month, the Greenwich Board of Education approved funds totaling $217,000 to add five armed Greenwich Police Department officers to cover the town's elementary and middle schools. The district will also use $400,835 for school infrastructure upgrades, and $411,000 to mobilize extra Greenwich police patrol cars to the east, central and western parts of town.
Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Several school districts around the state went into lockdown Friday after receiving false reports of active shooter threats. Also known as "swatting," GPS said this is part of a nationwide hoax that's been trending in recent months.
Stamford High School was placed in lockdown shortly before 9 a.m., Friday after the school received a report of an active shooter inside the building. Stamford police responded, all safety protocols were followed by students and staff, and the decision was made to lock down all Stamford schools.
Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Police found that the threat was false, and the district-wide lockdown was lifted at 9:11 a.m., and the lockdown at SHS was lifted at 9:30 a.m. Classes resumed shortly after.
A false report of an active shooter was also reported at Harding High School in Bridgeport Friday, and at Staples High School and Bedford Middle School in Westport.
According to WFSB, Windsor Locks Middle School was placed on lockdown, and a false threat was made to Enfield High School.
Read more from WFSB
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.