Politics & Government
Malloy: Proposed UConn Contract Could Mean More Job Eliminations
Malloy urged the General Assembly to reject the contract. Senate leaders worry that approval would mean mass layoffs and higher tuition.

STORRS, CT- Democrat state leaders including Gov. Dannel Malloy are calling a proposed contract for University of Connecticut workers unsustainable.
The contract is for non-teaching employees that are part of the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association and is pending approval in the General Assembly. Malloy said that agreements between labor and management must reflect the new economic reality of the state.
“This contract, which was negotiated last year, does not,” Malloy said. “At a time when the state is realigning spending and services, rescinding raises for nearly 2,000 managers, and significantly reducing its workforce, I believe this is a contract Connecticut cannot afford.”
Find out what's happening in Mansfield-Storrsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Malloy continued, " It would set a precedent that would necessitate the elimination of even more jobs."
Some highlights from the proposed five-year agreement:
Find out what's happening in Mansfield-Storrsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
- General wage increases of two percent followed by one percent each year for the next four years.
- Merit increases of one percent each year.
- Increases in vacation payouts and longevity.
- Increase in tuition reimbursement, child care and professional development.
- The Office of Fiscal Analysis estimates the fiscal impact would be $93.9 million over five years compared to UConn’s estimate of $55.9 million.
Office of Policy Management Secretary Ben Barnes said in a memo that the contract could establish a pattern that would cost more than $1 billion over five years if applied across state employees outside of higher education.
Barnes also said the contract includes retirement incentives that would add to unfunded pension liabilities.
The UCPEA Executive Board said in a memo to members on Facebook Feb. 26 that the contract is under attack and that Malloy made misleading comments earlier about some contract provisions such as whether phased retirement is in violation of the State Employees Bargaining Agent Coalition.
The executive board called on members to respond to action alerts when the time comes and to go to Hartford to deliver the message about the contract in person.
“Our new agreement was negotiated in good faith, ratified by a majority our members, and, most importantly, provides our students with vital higher education support services," said Kathleen Sanner, president of UCPEA in a Feb. 27 memo. "I urged lawmakers on Tuesday to show the people of Connecticut that we are not Wisconsin by honoring a negotiated settlement. That is our same message to the governor today.”
Senate Minority Leader Len Fasano called for a vote on the contract.
"I think we are finally at the tipping point where Democrats are beginning to see what Republicans have for so long – the trouble on the horizon is profound," he said. "At a time like this we are in no position to be guaranteeing years of 4.5% wage increases. And young people in our state are in no position to take on more burdens with higher tuition rates that will undoubtedly result from the proposed contract before us."
Senate President Martin Looney and Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff released a joint statement calling the contract unsustainable. There is a $40 million cost estimate gap between UConn’s estimates and he nonpartisan Office of Fiscal Analysis.
“We are afraid that, if approved, the contract will lead to massive layoffs and painful tuition increases forcing talented Connecticut students out of state,” the senators said.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.