Crime & Safety

7 Of New Haven Charged In FBI, NHPD Drug Trafficking Probe: Feds

Case leads to charges for fentanyl, heroin, and cocaine distribution, and seizure of 19 kilos of cocaine and 7K bags of fentanyl, $780K cash

NEW HAVEN, CT —Eight people, including seven from New Haven, face federal drug distribution charges after an FBI and New Haven police investigation, according to the U.S. Attorney for the District of Connecticut.

In addition to charges from the FBI New Haven Safe Streets/Gang Task Force and the New Haven Police Department probe, around 19 kilos of cocaine, more than 7,000 bags of fentanyl, and more than $780,000 in cash were seized, federal prosecutors said.

New Haven interim Police Chief Renee Dominguez said the arrests "will provide an immediate positive impact in the community as we continue to work together to make our community safer."

Find out what's happening in New Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Also involved in the investigation are East Haven, West Haven, and Milford police departments and Connecticut State Police, according to the Department of Justice.

In a five count federal indictment, seven from New Haven were charged:

Find out what's happening in New Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Jashon Spearman, 33, aka “J” and “Deuce”

Henry Horton, 39, aka “Bodie”

Jayquan Martinez, 20, aka “Neighbor” and “Quan”

Tiffany Brown, 39, aka "Tiff"

Jeremiah Hargrove, 39, aka “Myers” and “Miah;”

Kishon Shields, 24, aka “L.A.” and “Key”

Rayquan Gory, 26, aka “Wavy"

A man from New York and New Jersey, James Hilliard, 64, was also charged.

As alleged in court documents and statements made in court in the fall of 2021, the FBI task force and New Haven police began investigating Spearman and others for drug distribution, federal prosecutors said. Narcotics were sold, federal investigators said, in and around the West Hills neighborhood, including the McConaughy Terrace housing complex.

The FBI and New Haven police investigation found that "Hillard was supplying Spearman with heroin and fentanyl, and that Spearman was receiving kilogram quantities of cocaine through the U.S. mail from a source in Puerto Rico," per the Justice Department.

On Feb. 4, investigators arrested Spearman and Hillard after they met in the Bronx, New York, and a search of Hillard’s car revealed more than 7,000 folds of suspected heroin/fentanyl and approximately $30,000 in cash, prosecutors said.

On Feb. 8, investigators executed several court-authorized search warrants at a Ward Street residence where the Justice Department said Spearman distributed narcotics, and vehicles in which Spearman was suspected of storing narcotics. A search of a minivan found around 19 kilograms of cocaine; a search of a vehicle registered to Spearman revealed $750,400 in cash, assorted jewelry and a quantity of fentanyl; and a search of the Ward Street residence revealed additional cash, several money counters, and numerous cellphones, federal prosecutors said.

Five firearms were also seized were five firearms, investigators said.

Last week, a grand jury in New Haven returned an indictment charging the eight defendants with conspiracy to distribute and to possess with intent to distribute various quantities of fentanyl, heroin, crack cocaine, and cocaine. Spearman, Horton, Martinez, Shields and Gory are also charged with additional narcotics offenses, per the Justice Department. If convicted of the most serious charges in the indictment, prosecutors said, Spearman faces a mandatory minimum of 10 years, and a maximum of life, in prison. Hillard faces a mandatory minimum five years and maximum of 40 years. Horton, Martinez, Shields, Gory, Hargrove and Brown face a maximum 20 years in federal prison.

The indictment also seeks the forfeiture of the seized cash, jewelry and four vehicles, the U.S. Attorney said.

“I credit all the members of the FBI Safe Streets/Gang Task Force for their great work in this investigation, which has disrupted the flow of a significant amount of cocaine and fentanyl into Connecticut,” U.S. Attorney Leonard C. Boyle said.

“The cocaine and cash seized earlier this month was extraordinary, and would not have been accomplished without a terrific, coordinated effort by all involved," Boyle said. "The U.S. Attorney’s Office will continue to work with our federal, state and local partners to stem the drug trade in our cities and appropriately prosecute those responsible for it.”

“We understand the frustration at times expressed by community members about the drug activity within their neighborhoods,” FBI Special Agent in Charge David Sundberg said. “This case is the response to some of those demands for action by residents. The severe impact of this case will be felt for some time thanks to the coordinated efforts of all of our law enforcement partners.”

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.