Crime & Safety

New Haven Man Charged With 2 Gunpoint Robberies: US Attorney

Gary Gibson, Jr., 24, was indicted by a federal grand jury for the armed robberies of convenience stores in New Haven, West Haven: Feds

NEW HAVEN, CT — A federal grand jury returned a five-count indictment charging Gary Gibson, Jr., 24, of New Haven with the gunpoint robberies of two convenience stores last May, according to the Justice Department. He pleaded not guilty before U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert M. Spector in New Haven. Gibson has been detained since his arrest on related state charges on May 8, 2023.

According to US Attorney for CT and the New Haven Division of the FBI, as alleged in the indictment, on May 7, 2023, Gibson, brandishing a Glock semiautomatic handgun, robbed the Star Food & Convenience Store, 193 Boston Post Road in West Haven. On May 8, 2023, Gibson robbed the 7th Haven Convenience Store, 129 Sylvan Avenue in New Haven, and discharged the same handgun during the robbery, prosecutors said. They added that Gibson stole cash from both stores.

New Haven police and West Haven police, arrested Gibson shortly after the New Haven robbery and seized from him the handgun he allegedly used during the robberies, Avery said. She added the gun had an attached laser sight and a loaded 15-round magazine.

Find out what's happening in New Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

It is alleged that Gibson’s criminal history includes six felony convictions for weapon possession, robbery, and larceny offenses, the US Attorney said.

It is a violation of federal law for a person previously convicted of a felony offense to possess a firearm or ammunition that has moved in interstate or foreign commerce.

Find out what's happening in New Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The indictment charges Gibson with two counts of interference with commerce by robbery, a Hobbs Act robbery, which carries a maximum 20 years in prison on each count; one count of brandishing a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence, which carries a mandatory consecutive term of imprisonment of at least seven years; one count of discharging a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence, an offense that carries a mandatory consecutive term of at least 10 years; and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, which carries a maximum of 15 years in prison.

Avery "stressed that an indictment is not evidence of guilt and charges are only allegations, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.