Crime & Safety

Man Arrested In Child Abuse Case: New London Police

The victim, who police said was subjected to "living in squalor, inhumane conditions" and was abused, was hospitalized due to their injuries

NEW LONDON, CT — An East Lyme man has been arrested in connection with a child abuse case in New London earlier this year, according to police.

The 41-year-old man was taken into custody without incident in the 200 block of Flanders Road in East Lyme on Thursday, according to police.

New London police said the arrest stems from an investigation into a reported domestic violence incident that happened at a residence in New London on Jan. 29 involving a juvenile victim.

Find out what's happening in New Londonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The victim was taken to a local hospital due to injuries sustained and malnourishment, according to police. The victim was then transferred to Yale-New Haven Hospital for more treatment, police said.

Police said the victim survived the injuries.

Find out what's happening in New Londonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Investigators found that the juvenile victim was subjected to “living in squalor, inhumane conditions and the subject of abuse for a duration of time,” police wrote in a news release.

The man, a former New London resident, was charged with first-degree strangulation, second-degree assault, cruelty to persons, risk of injury to a minor, unlawful restraint, and reckless endangerment. He was held in lieu of a $750,000 bond.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.