Crime & Safety
Norwalk Man Charged After Cops Said He Shot Himself
The suspect is a convicted felon who is not supposed to possess a firearm, according to Norwalk police.

NORWALK, CT — A 26-year-old Norwalk man was arrested on a warrant charging him with weapons offenses after Norwalk police discovered the man had shot himself in the shoulder with an altered flare gun, according to authorities.
Josue Saravina-Pineda, who police said is a convicted felon prohibited from having a firearm, surrendered to police Monday and was charged with criminal possession of a firearm and unlawful discharge of a firearm in connection with the Sept. 24 shooting.
The case began on that date when authorities were called to Norwalk Hospital about a victim suffering from a single gunshot wound.
Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Detectives began investigating the incident and spoke to the victim who admitted he was playing with a gun in his backyard and accidentally discharged the gun, striking himself near his right shoulder," said Norwalk Police Lt. Jared Zwickler in a statement. "During the investigation, detectives recovered a flare gun that had been altered to hold and fire a single bullet."
Detectives soon discovered that the victim, Saravina-Pineda, convicted status and obtained a warrant for his arrest.
Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Saravina-Pineda was held in lieu of bail of $50,000, and is scheduled to appear in court at a later date.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.