Politics & Government

Refunds To Be Issued Over Undecided Norwalk Summer Camp

If you put down a deposit or paid in full for the Recreation and Parks Department camp, you will receive your money back.

Refunds will be issued to parents who put down deposits or paid in full for the Norwalk Summer Play & Learn Camp due to the coronavirus shutdown.
Refunds will be issued to parents who put down deposits or paid in full for the Norwalk Summer Play & Learn Camp due to the coronavirus shutdown. (Alfred Branch/Patch)

NORWALK, CT — The city will issue complete refunds to parents who put down a deposit or fully paid for the Norwalk Summer Play & Learn Camp due to the uncertainty of what types of camps will be permitted due to the ongoing battle against the new coronavirus (COVID-19), Mayor Harry Rilling announced on Friday.

The camp is run by the Norwalk Recreation and Parks Department, and the refunds will be issued beginning May 12. Families will not have to request a refund, it will be applied automatically to the original payment method.

Whether the city will hold camps this summer, and if so, what kind, is unknown as state officials decide what types of camps will be allowed during the coronavirus pandemic.

Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"When families signed-up for these programs our community was in a much different place," Rilling said. "We must be realistic about what camps may or may not look like this summer due to COVID-19. Refunding all fees now makes sense and is the right decision to make. I know parents are eager to hear what programs may be available. We continue to wait for information and guidance from the State of Connecticut regarding camps and summer school. I ask that everyone remain patient, and we will share more details as soon as we have them."

Last month, the Office of Early Childhood provided guidance in a memo about what should be considered when hosting summer camps, according to the mayor.

Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Among the criteria were:

  • Conducting health screenings
  • Adhering to physical distancing
  • Significantly reducing camp capacity
  • Use of face coverings

Earlier this week, OEC Commissioner Beth Bye said summer camps in Connecticut could open on June 29, however, more state guidelines are expected to be released on May 15. Until then, it is unclear of what types of programs can be offered.

"We will review the updated guidelines and do the best we can to develop an enriching summer experience, but obviously summer camps this year will not be what we had originally planned," said Norwalk Director of Recreation and Parks Nick Roberts. "We know we definitely will not be able to hold field trips and many interactive group activities since those cannot be conducted while physically distancing. We also know there will be limited capacity at our sites, and unfortunately, we may not be able to meet the demand in Norwalk."

When revised camp programs are released, a new registration page will be posted online. Registrations will be conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis, as there will be limited capacity at each of the locations.

More information will be shared on norwalkct.org as soon as it becomes available.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.