Politics & Government

55-And-Up Housing Approved In Southington

While Southington OK'd a special permit for the project, it still must decide a site plan for the proposal, something tabled last week.

SOUTHINGTON, CT — A planned 23-unit adult housing development in town has finally received the approval needed by the town to begin planning to put shovels in the ground.

The Southington Planning and Zoning Commision Nov. 1 voted 6-0 to approve Southington-based AA Denorfia Building & Development's special permit application to build an "active adult housing development" in town.

According to project plans, the development would consist of 23 single-family units and require connection to sewers, water, utilities and storm drainage. The units would be inhabited by people aged 55 and over.

Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

It would also be served by a private road, according to the proposal and the property would be at 580 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike.

Action on the project was delayed a couple of times prior, giving the applicant more time to fine-tune its plans and answer any town questions.

Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Prior to the Nov. 1 vote, the PZC that evening conducted a public hearing on the project, with Steve Giudice, of Harry Cole and Sons, representing the applicant.

He said each unit would be 1,400 to 1,600 square feet and have "low impact development features."

Giudice said the development is in an appropriately zone parcel and three of the 23 units will meet the town's 10 percent affordable housing requirements.

He added that soil there is suitable for septic systems and water drainage.

In recent weeks, the applicant has revised its stormwater management plan for the development and a traffic study has indicated the roadway can safely accommodate residents at the development.

Some residents Nov. 1 spoke about the project, with three supporting it and one being against it.

Mary-Ellen Hobson, who lives on Blatchley Avenue, said the preservation of green space exceeds what regulations require and the engineering firm "provided documentation throughout the planning process of the development and that it has been considerate in preserving land," according to meeting minutes.

One local resident, however, said he didn't like the project.

Larry DePaolo, also of Blatchley Avenue, said there are already empty housing units in town and a development the size of this isn't needed, especially near a golf course.

He also expressed concern about an increase in water usage in that area with 23 units, adding he'd be more supportive if the project called for, say, seven such units.

Southington PZC Chairman Robert Hammersley said because the area is appropriately zoned for the development and all regulatory requirements were met, the commission couldn't just say "no" to the proposal.

He cited the development's compliance with affordable housing and open space requirements, further cementing the applicant's adherence to zoning regulations.

While the special permit to build the development was approved, the PZC tabled a site plan application vote, which deals with specific project details, with a 6-0 vote.

This is to give the applicant more time to review the town engineering department's checklist regarding project specifics.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.