Crime & Safety

South Windsor Man Convicted of 2015 Bank Robbery

He told police he robbed two banks to obtain money to bail his girlfriend out of jail.

SOUTH WINDSOR, CT — A South Windsor man was convicted last week of robbing a Middletown bank nearly two years ago.

According to judicial records, Martin Silvestro, 33, was convicted Feb. 28 in Middletown Superior Court of first-degree robbery and first-degree larceny. He was sentenced to 13 years in prison, suspended after 70 months, followed by three years' probation.

At the time of his arrest in April 2015, Silvestro told police he had robbed the Wells Fargo Bank in Middletown and a First Niagara Bank in East Hartford on consecutive days, in order to obtain money to bail his girlfriend out of jail.

Find out what's happening in South Windsorfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The East Hartford charges have apparently been dropped, as there is no record of them on the judicial web site.

Photo credit: Shutterstock

Find out what's happening in South Windsorfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.