Schools

Coronavirus Wallingford: Schools Cancel Field Trips, Conferences

Officials announce that the school district has canceled school field trips and other events related to concerns over the new coronavirus.

(Patch graphic)

WALLINGFORD, CT — As part of the ongoing efforts to prevent the potential spread of the new coronavirus, the Wallingford school district has canceled school field trips, parent conferences and large after-school events, Superintendent of Schools Salvatore Menzo announced.

Menzo said the Board of Education approved the following recommendations on Monday night:

  • All out-of-district field trips, as of Wednesday, March 11, are canceled through March 31.
  • All afterschool events of more than 100 people will be postponed or canceled through March 31.
  • All parent conferences nights are canceled through March 31.

In a message to parents, Menzo said school-specific information, as to the above cancellations and postponements, will be communicated to staff and parents by building administration by Wednesday afternoon.

Find out what's happening in Wallingfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“We are reviewing events on a two-week basis, however, some events outside that window may need to postponed or canceled due to venue or contractor requirements,” Menzo said. “This, again, will all be communicated to staff and families from building administration. Building administrators have been asked to communicate with families each week with updates.”

The Wallingford Public School Wellness Fair scheduled for March 12 has been canceled.

Find out what's happening in Wallingfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The CIAC announced Tuesday morning that it was canceling its remaining winter state tournaments. Menzo previously said that Wallingford’s athletic events would occur without spectators.

The Board of Education also approved a two-hour late arrival for all students on Friday, March 13.

“Students will come in late on Friday, so that teachers can meet to prepare lessons in the event that prolonged student absences occur,” Menzo said.

Menzo also clarified that all of the district’s buildings are being cleaned daily.

“In addition to normal cleaning, all high touch surfaces and door knobs are being cleaned,” Menzo said. “As stated yesterday, all buses are being cleaned daily as well.”

Menzo also said that based on information shared by the Commissioner of the state Department of Education, the district is not “pursuing virtual learning as an option for students at this time.”

“We have concerns as to the ability to equitably deliver instruction for all students,” Menzo said. “As a result, if school is closed, we will extend the school year to accommodate the loss of school days. We will review this plan and ideas over time and adjust if necessary.”

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.