Community Corner

Wilmington’s Clean-Up Continues From 2 Early August Storms

Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki said the City is still in clean-up mode following two storms that hit Wilmington earlier this month.

August 26, 2020

City Parks and Rec and Public Works Crews are handling the recovery

Find out what's happening in Wilmingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki said the City is still in clean-up mode following two storms that hit Wilmington earlier this month. A storm on August 5 damaged trees and caused power outages along the southeastern part of the City, followed by another, more severe storm, on August 7 that traveled through northern portions of the City damaging a few hundred additional trees and cutting off power to more homes and businesses.

These storms were some of the most severe to hit Wilmington in years. Mayor Purzycki said the City’s Emergency Management Office is keeping a close watch on the path of Hurricane Laura because its projected path brings the storm close to Delaware this weekend setting up the possibility of a third weather incident affecting the City in a single month.

One of the most affected areas from the early August storms was Haynes Park on Miller Road, where an estimated 20 trees were destroyed or damaged. The Mayor said for the past few weeks, teams from the City’s Parks and Recreation and Public Works Departments have been working with a private tree firm to remove whole trees and other large pieces of debris from this park and others. The Haynes Park clean-up is expected to continue through this week and possibly beyond.

City Will Offer Residential Tree Debris Collection on Saturday
Mayor Purzycki said because some residents are still cleaning up large limbs and parts of trees from their properties, the Public Works Department will again travel throughout the City this Saturday with a wood chipper to dispose of tree debris. The Mayor said pre-registration is required for Saturday’s disposal service:

  • Residents must request the service by calling 311 to reach the City’s Customer Service Center
  • Residents should place tree limbs and debris at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on Saturday
  • Tree sections eligible for collection are those that are under eight (8) feet in length and less than four (4) inches in diameter.
  • Tree debris will NOT be collected from rear alleyways.

New Trees Planted
Another part of the storm recovery plan, according to the Mayor, involves planting new trees in public spaces where possible to replace trees that were lost. Mayor Purzycki said Wilmington is very fortunate to have a healthy tree canopy with an inventory of approximately 58,000 trees citywide. He said we need to appreciate the importance of trees in cities, which increase urban biodiversity by providing plants and animals with a healthier habitat, food, and protection. Residents, the Mayor said, receive benefits from trees because they block the sun, keep areas cooler, and improve air quality thus making cities healthier places to live.

Mayor Purzycki today thanked City residents and City employees for working hard on the clean-up from the storms earlier this month. Although it wasn’t officially classified as a tornado, the Mayor said the August 7 event caused damage that is typically seen with a tornado.

City residents are reminded that branches, tree limbs, and other yard waste are banned from Delaware’s landfills so these items cannot be placed in trash containers or recycling bins. The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) provides resources to help Delawareans manage their yard waste in ways that are protective of human health and the environment. Information can be found online at de.gov/yardwaste or by calling DNREC’s Division of Waste and Hazardous Substances at 302-739-9403.

Find out what's happening in Wilmingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.


This press release was produced by the City of Wilmington. The views expressed here are the author’s own.