Crime & Safety
Tampa Police Asking To Re-Interview Shooting Witnesses
Tampa Police detectives are urging two women who had previously provided information regarding the shooting of a Tampa teen.

TAMPA, FL -- Tampa Police detectives are urging two women who had previously provided information regarding the shooting of 14-year-old De’Nico Thomas to contact police.
While officers were on-scene conducting the initial investigation on June 20, two women in the East Tampa neighborhood provided information regarding a vehicle that nearly struck them.
The women said that they were walking in the area of 34th Street and Emma Street with a small child at the time.
Find out what's happening in Seminole Heightsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Thomas was walking home after playing video games with friends when he was shot near the 3100 block of East Cayuga Street .(See related story.)
The shooting took place shortly before midnight. Thomas had just called his grandmother to tell her that he was on his way home.
Find out what's happening in Seminole Heightsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
When officers arrived, they found the teen lying in the street. He was transported to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the stomach. He remains in critical condition.
Based on witness interviews, detectives believe the shooter was traveling in a white vehicle.
Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan issued a call to action to the community, asking for help to get the shooter off the streets.
"It doesn't matter your economic background or where you live, we cannot have gun violence in the streets of our nation, let alone the city of Tampa. Our officers work very hard to reduce crime, and this is not the way we want to start off the summer," said Dugan.
While detectives try to determine a motive for Thomas' shooting, Dugan urged the public not to place blame on the victim.
"Someone is going to want to blame the victim and ask why he was out at midnight. That is completely irrelevant," said Dugan. "Something we need to do as a police department, the media and society is stop blaming the victims. We need to stand up and say the violence is enough and put an end to it."
Hillsborough County State Attorney Andrew Warren, along with neighborhood watch leaders who live in the area where Thomas was shot, joined Dugan in his appeal to stop the violence.
Detectives are asking the two previously interviewed women to contact them at (813) 276-3255.
Anyone else with information about the shooting can contact Crime Stoppers at (800) 873-TIPS to be eligible for a $3,000 reward.
Image via Tampa Police
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.