Politics & Government

Bailey Campaign To Donate Money From Registered Sex Offender: Report

The Republican nominee's campaign said it was unaware of the Rockford pastor's criminal history, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

SPRINGFIELD, IL — Republican gubernatorial candidate Darren Bailey's campaign plans to donate money it received from a Rockford pastor who is a registered sex offender after learning about the man's criminal history, according to a Chicago Sun-Times report published Monday.

Victor D. Barr and members of his household contributed $1,100 to Bailey's campaign this year, while Barr also gave $2,000 during Bailey's unsuccessful 2022 campaign for governor, the Sun-Times reported.

Bailey's campaign told the newspaper it did not know about Barr's background when the contributions were accepted and plans to give the money to charity.

Find out what's happening in Across Illinoisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Patch reached out Monday to Bailey's campaign manager for additional comment.

Bailey Visited Rockford Church

The Sun-Times also reported that Bailey and his wife attended a June service at Rockford Faith Center, where Barr is a pastor.

Find out what's happening in Across Illinoisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The church currently lists "Pastor Vic Barr" among its staff.

Barr told the Sun-Times that he does not have a personal relationship with Bailey and characterized himself as a philosophical supporter of the Republican candidate.

RELATED: Bailey Regrets Calling Chicago 'Hellhole' In New Video — IL Gubernatorial Election 2026

According to the newspaper, Barr pleaded guilty in 2003 to aggravated criminal sexual abuse involving a 17-year-old student while he was a math teacher at Rockford East High School. The Sun-Times reported that Barr is required to register as a sex offender for life.

The newspaper did not report that Bailey knew about Barr's conviction before receiving the contributions or attending the church.

Bailey, Pritzker Set For November Rematch

Bailey is facing Democratic Gov. JB Pritzker in November after winning the Republican gubernatorial primary in March.

Patch reported Bailey received 53.5 percent of the vote, defeating Ted Dabrowski, James Mendrick and Rick Heidner to secure the nomination.

RELATED: Republican Bailey Projected Winner In IL Gubernatorial Primary

It will be a rematch of the 2022 governor's race, when Pritzker defeated Bailey. Bailey, a former state senator and state representative from southern Illinois, also unsuccessfully sought a congressional seat in 2024.

Bailey has made efforts during his latest campaign to improve his standing in the Chicago area. In April, he said he regretted repeatedly calling Chicago a “hellhole” during his 2022 campaign, releasing a campaign video in which he toured the city and said he loves what Chicago has to offer.

Patch has also previously reported on a Bailey campaign connection to a Hinsdale woman whose past social media posts criticized Black people and “Mexican parades.”

Bailey's campaign entered the summer with significantly less cash on hand than Pritzker's campaign. The Sun-Times reported in July that Bailey raised about $1.3 million during the second quarter but spent much of it on direct-mail fundraising, ending the quarter with roughly $128,000 available.

Patch will update this story if Bailey's campaign responds to its request for comment.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.