Crime & Safety

'I'm Ordering You Not To Drink,' Judge Tells Alleged Drunken Expressway Driver

Cops said man was going 81mph in 60mph zone on expressway near Alsip.

ALSIP, IL -- A Cook County judge ordered a Hoffman Estates man to stop drinking after he was arrested a second time allegedly for driving under the influence.

Moises Deblas-Mechor, 33, of Hoffman Estates, appeared before Judge Peter Felice on a felony DUI charge. A violation of bail bond was also filed on a pending misdemeanor DUI charge.

According to the charges, police saw a vehicle making numerous lane changes and tailgating another car in sparse traffic on I-294 at the 12.5 mile post near Alsip. Police stopped the vehicle, encountering the driver, later identified as Deblas-Mechor.

Find out what's happening in Alsip-Crestwoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The prosecutor said that Deblas-Mechor exhibited signs of slurred speech, bloodshot eyes and emanated an odor of alcohol. Officers said that Deblas-Mechor failed field sobriety tests after he was asked to exit his vehicle.

The assistant public defender told the judge that Deblas-Mechor worked full time for grocery store and that the most recent accusation of driving while impaired did not involve an accident.

Find out what's happening in Alsip-Crestwoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“Thank God,” Judge Felice said.

A public safety assessment recommended that Deblas-Mechor be released with pre-trial monitoring. The judge noted the police report which stated that Deblas-Mechor had been driving 80mph in a 60mph zone.

“I don’t think the public would agree with it,” the judge said.

Bail was set at $25,000. The judge also ordered random drug testing.

“I’m ordering you not to drink,” Judge Felice said.

Deblas-Mechor’s next hearing is Dec. 13 in Bridgeview.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.