Crime & Safety
5 Arrested For Armed Robbery After Chase Ends In Crash: Aurora Police
A student was walking home from school when two masked people approached, displayed a firearm and forcibly took their property, police said.
AURORA, IL — Five people were taken into custody in connection with an armed robbery that occurred Feb. 5 near Howell Place and Fourth Avenue in Aurora, police said.
Police responded after a 911 caller reported at about 3:25 p.m. last Thursday that a juvenile victim had been approached by two masked people who displayed a firearm, then forcibly took the person's property, officials said.
The preliminary investigation revealed the victim was walking home from school when two suspects, both dressed in black and wearing ski masks, blocked their path on the sidewalk. One offender took out a handgun, while the second took the victim's property. Both offenders then ran to a nearby SUV and fled the area.
Find out what's happening in Aurorafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Within minutes of the 911 call, police located the suspect vehicle using License Plate Reader Technology replayed through the department's Critical Incident Intelligence Center. Officers tried to stop the car, but when the driver didn't stop, police pursued, and the car ultimately crashed near East Galena Boulevard and North State Street, according to a news release.
Two offenders fled the crash on foot but were quickly apprehended. Five people were detained, and a firearm was recovered. One of the people involved had a previously documented gang affiliation, officials said.
Find out what's happening in Aurorafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The Kane County State's Attorney's Office approved the following felony charges for these people:
Antoine Jackson, 19, of Oswego:
- Armed robbery
- Theft of $500–$10,000
- Mob action
- Aggravated battery on a public way
Rufo Alacron, 18, of Aurora:
- Multiple counts of aggravated fleeing and eluding
- Resisting a police officer, causing injury
A 16-year-old from Aurora:
- Armed robbery
- Unlawful possession of a defaced firearm
- FOID card violation
- Multiple counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon
- Theft of $500–$10,000
- Mob action
- Resisting a police officer causing injury
- Aggravated battery on a public way
Two additional juveniles, ages 15 and 16, were taken into custody but were not charged as of Friday evening. An investigation into the armed robbery remains ongoing, police said, and additional charges are pending lab results and forensic review.
"This incident highlights the effectiveness of our department’s coordinated response strategies," Chief Matt Thomas said in a statement. "The rapid information-sharing between patrol officers, CIIC personnel, and our Community Oriented Policing Unit allowed officers to quickly locate the suspects, prevent further harm, and hold those responsible accountable."
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the police department's investigations division at 630-256-5500.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.