Crime & Safety

Former Channahon Man Gets 30 Months Sex Offender Probation

Richard Buss was arrested last July for recording an unauthorized video of a juvenile relative in the bathroom of his Channahon home.

Richard Buss was sentenced to 30 months sex offender probation by a Will County judge.
Richard Buss was sentenced to 30 months sex offender probation by a Will County judge. (Channahon Police Department)

CHANNAHON, IL — A former Channahon resident has been sentenced to 30 months of sex offender probation after he pleaded guilty to making an unauthorized video of a juvenile relative at his home last summer.

Richard Buss, 37, now of Crown Point, Ind., was sentenced by Will County Circuit Court Judge Dave Carlson earlier this month and completed paperwork on Friday that requires him to complete sex offender evaluation, according to the Joliet Herald-News.

Buss is not required to register as a sex offender because the crime he pleaded guilty to is not a sex offense under state law. However, according to the Herald-News, Carlson told Buss he considers his crime a sex offense.

Find out what's happening in Channahon-Minookafor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“I’ve got my hooks in you and if there is so much as a hiccup, I’m going to send you to the penitentiary,” Carlson said, according to the newspaper.

Buss was arrested last summer after he used his phone to make a video recording of a female minor in the bathroom of his home in Channahon.

Find out what's happening in Channahon-Minookafor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.