Crime & Safety

Man Charged In Woodstock Parking Lot Murder

Victor Romero-Palos​ has been charged in connection with the fatal shooting of Cesar Rangel.

Authorities have charged a man accused of murdering 41-year-old Cesar Rangel. Rangel was found shot dead in a municipal parking lot in Woodstock last month. Victor Romero-Palos was taken into custody shortly after the shooting in the early morning hours of June 16, according to police.

On Wednesday, Romero-Palos was charged with two counts of first-degree murder for the shooting death of Rangel, police said. The charges came after an extensive investigation into the shooting. Rangel was found shot in a municipal parking lot during the early morning hours of June 16 near the intersection of East Calhoun and South Jefferson streets in Woodstock.

Authorities first responded to the scene at 1:13 a.m. after receiving two 911 phones calls regarding gunshots in the area, according to police. Rangel was taken to a local emergency room where he was pronounced dead.

Find out what's happening in Crystal Lake-Caryfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Romero-Palos was identified as a person of interest following the shooting and taken into custody about eight hours later. He was arrested on "unrelated matters" and an Immigration Customs Enforcement hold was placed on him, police said. His bond on the unrelated matters was set at $2 million.

Romero-Palos is currently being held at the McHenry County Adult Correctional Facility on an additional $5 million bond for the murder charges.

Find out what's happening in Crystal Lake-Caryfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.