CHICAGO – A man accused of striking another man in the head with a gun at a Glenview motel in 2024 has been sentenced to 15 years in federal prison on a separate firearm conviction, authorities announced.
Dirk Hugo, 49, of Arlington Heights, received the statutory maximum sentence May 12 after a federal jury last year convicted him of illegally possessing a firearm as a previously convicted felon, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois.
Federal authorities said Hugo was arrested May 1, 2024, in a parking garage in Arlington Heights while allegedly carrying a loaded handgun in his waistband and wearing a bulletproof vest.
The arrest came weeks after Hugo allegedly assaulted a man at a Motel 6 in Glenview by striking him in the head with a gun, according to police. Patch previously reported on the April 2024 incident.
RELATED: Man Strikes Person In Head With Gun At Motel 6 — Glenview PD
Authorities said Hugo had multiple prior felony firearm convictions and was legally prohibited from possessing a gun.
Hugo has remained in custody since his arrest, officials said.
In announcing the sentence, federal prosecutors described Hugo as a continuing danger to the community.
“As defendant’s criminal record makes clear, he absolutely refuses to give up his firearms despite decades of being told that he cannot possess a gun,” Assistant U.S. Attorneys Stephanie C. Stern and Simar Khera wrote in a sentencing memorandum.
Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
Glenview, IL Patch
Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.