Restaurants & Bars
Community Rallies Behind Local Tavern Owner's Campaign To Re-Open
Teddy O'Brian's owner is looking to reopen the tavern after its liquor license was revoked last year.

HIGHWOOD, IL — Community members in Highwood are rallying behind the owner of a local bar to support efforts to reopen after its liquor license was taken away last year.
Now, the tavern's original owner, Ted Banick, wants a chance to bring back Teddy O'Brian's and reestablish its reputation as "the preeminent spot for live music, good food and great times." Banick sold the tavern four years ago, but has now once again taken the reins.
At this week's Highwood City Council meeting, several residents spoke out to urge the city to help get the doors at Teddy O'Brian's back open.
Find out what's happening in Highland Parkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Places like Teddy's are more than just taverns; they're gathering places where community happens, and memories are made. I have faith in Teddy, and I truly can't imagine better hands for a neighborhood tavern to be in," one resident told the council at the meeting.
Teddy O'Brian's closed in April last year after the city revoked its liquor license due to numerous reports of violations of the local liquor code. Mayor Charles Pecaro cited investigation findings presented by law enforcement about several incidents.
Find out what's happening in Highland Parkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Police Chief David Wentz testified that in December 2024, an 18-year-old girl was allegedly sold alcohol at the tavern and needed to be taken to the hospital due to heavy intoxication.
In September 2022, Wentz said he also investigated a woman's claims that she was sexually assaulted on the premises. The Police Chief said law enforcement requested surveillance footage from Teddy O'Brian's several times to aid the investigation, but the tavern never provided the footage.
Wentz also said he investigated claims of alleged drink tampering at the bar, but was again not provided security footage when he requested it.
Banick said he is facing issues trying to get city approval to reopen the establishment.
"Despite the tavern's longstanding presence, positive impact within our community and full support of the property owners, bureaucratic challenges are preventing me from reviving this cherished establishment," Banick said.
City manager Scott Coren addressed rumors that officials planned to include the property in an ongoing redevelopment project nearby, clarifying that Teddy O'Brian's was never part of that plan.
Additionally, Coren said that while the city agrees that the location is perfect for a bar and entertainment, there have been some communication issues between the city and the property owner that have prevented negotiations from moving forward.
"I think we can continue to work to get this location back open, but we need some good faith collaboration on both ends, and we haven't always received that over these past few years," Coren said.
A Change.org petition supporting Teddy O'Brian's reopening has garnered more than 1,300 signatures as of Thursday.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.