Community Corner

Rialto Manager Accuses Marquee Opponents of Trying to Dupe Sign Company

Claim comes after "Rialto Belongs to the People" member posts marquee photos online.

The current Rialto marquee. Credit: Joseph Hosey.

The Rialto Square Theatre’s general manager on Friday lashed out at vocal opponents of the theater’s recently approved digital marquee, saying members of a grassroots group obtained photos of the yet-to-be completed marquee from the sign company.

In a press release, Randy Green claimed that photos posted to the “Rialto Belongs to the People” Facebook group were obtained by a group member who contacted Indiana-based Landmark Sign Company claiming to be a Rialto employee, the Herald-News reported.

Find out what's happening in Jolietfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Green said someone called the sign company and claimed to be caling from the Rialto on Green’s behalf. The caller then allegedly asked the company to email photos of the work in progress.

In a post on the Facebook page, marquee critic Sherry Lewandowski denied the accusation.

Find out what's happening in Jolietfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“I emphatically deny that I misrepresented or represented myself are my agenda in any way shape or form. I simply called and left a message,” Lewandowski wrote. She claimed she asked a salesman who returned her call for photos of the marquee.

“The salesman stated to me he had just emailed the photos to Randy,” she said. “I stated to the salesman that Randy probably would not share with me. I gave my email and received in minutes.”

Rialto management has been under fire since making a Nov. 24 announcement that the marquee would be replaced on the 88-year-old theater, thanks to a $350,000 donation from local businessman Ed Czerkies.

Residents have criticized the modern design of the marquee, which will be able to play video and includes a tribute to Czerkies’ late parents.

Earlier this week residents turned out to a meeting of the Rialto’s governing board, the Will County Metropolitan Exposition and Auditorium Authority (WCMEAA) to voice their opposition to the marquee. Residents turned out despite the fact that the marquee is already under construction, according to Green.

Green said the photos posted on the “Rialto Belongs to the People” page on Thursday misrepresent the progress on the sign, which he said is 75 percent completed, according to the Herald-News.

In the statement released Friday, Green said he was referring the matter to legal counsel.

Despite the controversy, donor Czerkies has reportedly said he will pull his donation if the design of the sign is substantially changed.

Related:

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.