Crime & Safety

Naperville Amtrak Shooting Suspect Could Be Deemed Unfit: Lawyer

Edward Klein is accused of shooting a 45-year-old conductor at the Naperville station last month.

NAPERVILLE, IL — Attorneys for a Wisconsin man accused of shooting an Amtrak conductor in Naperville last month say he recently underwent a psychological evaluation and was found to be unfit. Edward Klein, 79, of West Allis, appeared in court Wednesday. He's accused of shooting 45-year-old Michael Case, an Amtrak conductor and U.S. Navy veteran from Homewood.

Case remains hospitalized but is making "slow but steady" progress, wife Sara said earlier this month. Case was shot in the torso as he stepped off the train at the Naperville station. Police said Klein was on the train when he reached through the window to shoot Case, saying he told investigators he did it because he was angry he could not yet get off the train. Klein reportedly told police, "I had built up all this anger and I blew him away."

Prosecutors are still analyzing the results of Klein's evaluation, and he could be deemed unfit to stand trial, according to WGN.

Find out what's happening in Napervillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Klein's next court date is July 31 in DuPage County. (Get Patch real-time email alerts for the latest news for Naperville — or your town. And iPhone users: Check out Patch's new app.)

Read past Patch coverage of the Amtrak shooting:

Find out what's happening in Napervillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.