Crime & Safety
Naperville Man Gets 15 Years For Firing Gun Into Crowd
Police say he shot a gun into a parking lot full of people on Thanksgiving morning in 2016.

NAPERVILLE, IL -- A Naperville man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for shooting a gun into the parking lot of an apartment complex on Thanksgiving in 2016, authorities said Monday. Dion Knight, 32, of the 800 block of North Commonwealth Avenue, pleaded guilty in January to a felony count of aggravated discharge of a firearm in connection with the Nov. 24, 2016 incident.
Knight had been driving his car through a Fairway Avenue apartment complex when he rolled down his window and opened fire into a group of people. Authorities say a gunshot hit one victim in the upper right part of their chest.
Knight fled the scene, but was taken into custody shortly after.
Find out what's happening in Napervillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin said, "This afternoon, Mr. Knight learned that his violent actions of November 24, 2016, have earned him a 15-year prison sentence. Thankfully, the injuries sustained by the victim, while serious, were not life threatening."
He must serve 85 percent of his 15-year sentence before he becomes eligible for parole.
Find out what's happening in Napervillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.