Crime & Safety
2 Masked Men Try to Rob Woman at Gunpoint as She Pulls Into Her Driveway (UPDATED)
The suspects fled after the victim, who wasn't hurt in Monday night's incident, screamed.

WILMETTE, IL — Police are investigating an attempted armed robbery and carjacking Monday that happened as the victim was pulling into her driveway.
At about 8:50 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15, a 30-year-old woman was confronted by two men wearing ski masks armed with a gun as she drove into her driveway at her home in the 400 block of Sandy Lane, according to a Wilmette police alert. The suspects demanded that if she didn't hand over her purse and vehicle keys, they would shoot her, the alert stated.
The victim began screaming, and the men fled in a silver or white Toyotoa Camry that traveled eastbound on Wilmette Avenue from Sandy Lane, according to police.
Find out what's happening in Wilmette-Kenilworthfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Last week, Wilmette police issued an alert to residents, warning them of these types of crimes that had been occurring in surrounding North Shore communities. These crimes are being attributed to specific "crews" that police have identified as committing auto thefts and auto burglaries in the past.
RELATED: Crews of Auto Thieves, Burglars Have Police on Alert
Find out what's happening in Wilmette-Kenilworthfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Until Monday, the village had not been directly affected by these types of armed robbery/carjackings. The closest incident involving Wilmette was a chase after an aggravated carjacking that happened Thursday, Aug. 11, in unincorporated Des Plaines.
Police continue to warn residents to be cautious from 8 to 11 p.m. around shopping centers and gas stations, as well as leaving or returning home around those late evening hours.
"If you are confronted—do not resist—contact the police as soon as it is safe to do so," the alert stated. "Please report suspicious persons or vehicles that you may observe in the area."
UPDATE (2:43 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 16): In reference to the "crews" authorities have identified, Cmdr. Patrick Collins said Wilmette police arrested two Chicago juveniles who had gang connections earlier this summer. Evidence from those arrests, as well as information gathered from similar crimes in nearby communities, police have determined that there are several different groups of juveniles and young adults with gang affiliations committing auto burglaries and auto thefts, Collins said in an email Tuesday.
Those groups also have been recently linked to robberies and carjackings in the Chicago area, Collins added.
Like What You're Reading? Stay Patched In!
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.