Crime & Safety

Investigators Issue Ruling On Annapolis House Explosion

Anne Arundel County investigators said Friday that the fatal house explosion in Annapolis' Cape St. Claire area was accidental.

The home explosion killed one woman and left a man hospitalized in critical condition.
The home explosion killed one woman and left a man hospitalized in critical condition. (Courtesy Anne Arundel County Fire Department)

ANNAPOLIS, MD — The deadly house explosion that occurred in the Cape St. Claire area of Annapolis on Wednesday was ruled accidental in nature by investigators.

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department said on Friday that investigators also determined that a visit by a propane vendor at the home "did not cause or contribute to the explosion."

Officials said the man injured in the explosion remains hospitalized in critical condition at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.

Find out what's happening in Annapolisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Related: Officials ID 76-Year-Old Woman Killed In Annapolis House Explosion

The deadly home explosion occurred on the 1100 block of Green Holly Drive, and was reported to authorities around 12 p.m.

Find out what's happening in Annapolisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Early on in the investigation, officials said that a propane vendor had been at the home about an hour before the explosion to refill a tank.

The latest update comes a day after authorities identified Linda Synowczynski as the 76-year-old woman who died after the explosion prompted the second floor of the home to collapse.

Synowczynski was pronounced dead at the scene after going into cardiac arrest. She was pulled from the wreck by neighbors.

An investigation into the explosion remains ongoing.

This is a developing story. Stay with Patch for updates.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.