Politics & Government
Braintree Group Asks Mayor To Withdraw Rezoning Proposal
The zoning working group wants the the zoning rewrite withdrawn while it reviews community objections regarding overcrowded housing.
BRAINTREE, MA — The newly formed zoning working group voted unanimously Tuesday night to request that Mayor Joseph Sullivan withdraw a rezoning plan that many residents fear will lead to overcrowded housing developments and ruin Braintree's small-town feel. Hundreds of residents at public hearings have objected to the zoning changes, many who have publicly asked for a new master plan to be completed before they'd support any zoning rewrites.
The group, a 15-member committee established by Sullivan and Town Council President Charles Ryan, is responsible for reviewing residents' concerns with the proposed rezoning. The Patriot Ledger reported the committee asked Sullivan to withdraw the zoning plan, while the group irons out community objections and make its own recommendations. Planning Board chair Robert Harnais and Ryan urged the new group not to reject the proposal, arguing it has a lot of protections for residents against large-scale developments.
Last week, Sullivan told the Town Council he supported seeking a master plan if the Planning Board's studies are not enough to warrant moving forward on the town's rezoning proposal.
Find out what's happening in Braintreefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Should an RFP (request for proposal) process be needed, we will then move forward with retaining a consultant to offer additional guidance," Sullivan said. "I believe this info can provide us valuable information as we continue to review zoning."
Working group member Tim Burke at Tuesday's meeting said developing a master plan will take at least 18 months, the Patriot Ledger reported.
Find out what's happening in Braintreefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Since rezoning was first brought to public hearing in March, the planning board made several revisions to the proposed plan. During a public hearing on April 22, Planning Director Christine Stickney and Melissa Santucci Rozzi, the assistant director of the planning and community development department, presented the revisions such as restricting developers from building six-story buildings in the highway district. The revision makes four stories the maximum. Originally, the proposal would have allowed for six-story buildings with a special permit.
Another proposal included restricting the number of multi-family units allowed from 20 to 12 in the "Transition District" between Braintree Square and South Braintree Square. Santucci Rozzi said the board wants to do this "to provide more compatibility between this district and the abutting districts." A special permit would also be required for all mixed-use developments.
The zoning working group's next meeting is scheduled for May 23, while another planning board meeting is scheduled for June 3.
More On The Zoning Debate
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.