Politics & Government
Braintree Licensing Commissioners Delay Action on Rideshare Companies
Representatives from Uber, Lyft, and Sidetrack have been invited to speak on possible cease and desist order at the board's next meeting.

Cab companies and drivers expecting the city of Braintree to send a cease and desist letter to rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft will have to wait a little longer for the town to take action.
Despite expectations of a letter from town solicitor Peter Morin ordering the drivers for the companies along with Sidetrack to stop picking up passengers in Braintree, the Licensing Commissions decided to table the matter until a future meeting.
In a letter to the board dated April 24, Morin says that the companies should have a chance to be heard before any action is taken.
Find out what's happening in Braintreefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“In addressing the issue of Uber operators, the board has heard credible complaints and allegations regarding the service being non-compliant with the town’s regulations. However, the town has yet to have an enforcement action against an Uber driver. Moreover, Uber drivers or representatives of Uber have not had the opportunity to be heard regarding their service and why they should not be held to compliance with the town’s ordinance,” the letter states.
Attorney Jennifer Pinkham, who represents Braintree’s Best Taxi, called the lack of a cease and desist letter a disappointment.
Find out what's happening in Braintreefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“We did think (the letter) would be drafted for the board to vote. This is a setback,” Pinkham said. “They know they are violating the law and use a disruption model and they continue to violate the law. I understand the solicitor’s concerns, but I would ask that this is done expeditiously.”
The request for the cease and desist letter initially came from Braintree’s Best Taxi owner Greg Najjar who initially sought the letter at a town council meeting in February. Like Pinkham, Najjar asked the commissioners to act expeditiously.
“I’m disappointed as well are my 50 drivers. My company is getting damage at a speed I could never imagine,” Najjar said.
The way rideshare companies are regulated has become a hot topic in recent months. Last week, Governor Charlie Baker introduced propose regulation for rideshare services. In the proposal, drivers would have to undergo a state criminal background checks, hold a permit issued by the Department of Public Utilities, and the companies would be required to carry at least $1 million in liability insurance for each ride. The legislation would not prevent towns from creating their own regulations for drivers.
The three rideshare companies will be contacted by the committee for a discussion on the town’s taxicab ordinances at their next meeting scheduled for May 12. A return receipt will be sent to show the town’s effort in seeking a response.
Pinkham said that in the past, companies like Uber and Lyft have not responded to similar letters.
Photo Credit: WHDH
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.