This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Crime & Safety

Canton Patch's Norfolk County Court Roundup: November 13 Edition

The following information came from various courts in Norfolk County. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction unless otherwise stated.

Canton

Burglary case continued for hearing

Patrick Haines, 18, of 469 Sherman St., Canton had charges of felony nighttime breaking and entering and larceny from a building continued to Dec. 14 for discovery, compliance and jury election in Stoughton District Court.

The charges stem from an Aug. 25, 2010 incident in Canton at 2:10 p.m. when police responded at a Sherman Street address for a report of a burglary. The resident told police that at 10:30 a.m. she noticed an open window and the air conditioner in the window was now on the ground along with several ornaments. The victim reported her purse containing a wallet was taken. She also informed police that she gave a kitten to Haines but that he later returned saying he couldn't keep the kitten. He then asked if he could come in and play with the
kittens for a few minutes and she agreed.

Police in the incident report said Haines and two other youths returned at 3 a.m. Haines allegedly said he believed he may have dropped a key when he was in the woman's apartment on the day before. The group returned a half hour later with Haines allegedly saying he had cigarettes, which he would give to her if she let them into her apartment. She declined and told the group not to ring the door buzzer again. Haines is also charged in a separate case with operating a motor vehicle after license suspension, operating a motor vehicle uninsured, operating a motor vehicle unregistered, and two counts of a motorcycle equipment violation. The case was continued to Dec. 14 for a pretrial hearing in Stoughton District Court. The charges stem from an April 25 incident in Canton. Police responded to a report of a youth on a motorized scooter on Reynolds Street who was not wearing a helmet or protective eyewear.

Find out what's happening in Cantonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Case of OUI continued for hearing

Ryan R. Hanlon, 21, of 93 Waterfall Drive, Canton had charges of operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and a marked lanes violation continued to Dec. 14 for discovery, compliance and jury election in Stoughton District Court.

The charges stem from an April 9 incident in Canton at 1:40 a.m. when police allegedly observed a vehicle on Route 138 that drifted over the fog line, nearly striking the curb, then crossed over the yellow double lines. Police stopped the vehicle and began their investigation. Hanlon allegedly told police he had consumed four vodka and Red Bull mixed drinks and "some Yeager Bombs." Police determined that Hanlon's apparent level of intoxication made it unsafe to administer field sobriety tests and they arrested him. A chemical breath test showed blood alcohol levels of .15 and .17, police said in the incident report.

Boston man who allegedly received stolen vehicle has case continued

Find out what's happening in Cantonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Dominic N. Gaylor, 22, of 59 Wales St., Apt. 1, Boston had charges of receiving a stolen motor vehicle, operating a motor vehicle after license suspension, operating and uninsured motor vehicle, operating an unregistered motor vehicle, and use of a motor vehicle without authority continued to Nov. 18 for a pretrial hearing in Stoughton District Court.

The charges stem from an Oct. 31 incident in Canton at 12:15 p.m. when Milton State Police observed a 1997 Eagle Talon traveling on Route 138 with a license plate that belonged to a Dodge Caravan. Police stopped the vehicle and during their investigation it was determined that the vehicle had been reported stolen in Boston on Oct. 26. Gaylor allegedly told police that the vehicle belonged to his cousin and that he was driving the vehicle until he could obtain his vehicle registration.

Braintree

Hingham man to serve jail time for animal cruelty after killing Chihuahua

Patrick Daly, 36, of 175 Old Derby St., Hingham was sentenced by a Quincy District Court judge to 2 1/2 years in the Norfolk County House of Correction with year to be served and the balance suspended until Oct. 28, 2014 after he was found guilty of animal cruelty.

The charge stems from a Nov. 9, 2010 incident in Braintree at 2 p.m. when a witness reported that his 14-year-old Chihuahua, Pepe, nipped at Daly's daughter, 4, at 247 Grove St., Braintree, and that Daly chased the dog, picked it up by the back of the neck and threw it off a balcony using both hands with "full force." The dog landed on concrete pavement, whimpered in pain, and ran under the balcony, dying moments later. Daly then "went off" on the witness, police said in the incident report. Police and the witness found Pepe dead inside a small bin below the balcony. "See, he killed my dog," the witness told police. 

Alleged shoe shoplifter fails to appear in court

Rebecca L. Kerns, 18, of 240 Central St., Apt. 1, Fall River had a default warrant issued for her arrest on charges of shoplifting by aspiration and receiving stolen property under $250 after she failed to appear for a hearing in Quincy District Court.

The charges stem fro a June 25 incident at Sears in Braintree at 8:14 p.m. when police responded to a report of two female shoplifters being
detained by store loss prevention. Store detectives reported observing the women conceal $130 worth of clothing in a black backpack. The backpack also contained $210 worth of merchandise from Macy's. Store detectives said they found a stolen pair of shoes inside Kern's purse, according to the police incident report.

Check forgery charges dismissed in court

Tishaun Miller, 19, of 60 Tyler St., Apt. 2, Hyde Park had charges of conspiracy, forgery of a check, uttering a false check, and larceny over $250 dismissed at the request of the prosecution and defendant in Quincy District Court.

The charges stem from a July 20 incident in Braintree at 1:20 p.m. when police responded to Rockland Trust at 405 Washington St., for a report of bad checks
passed by three suspects. Miller allegedly cashed a check in the amount of $986.43, the police incident report said.

Case of Braintree woman who allegedly bounced checks continued for hearing

Stephanie L. Fox, 26, of 145 Hancock St., Unit 203, Braintree had four counts of larceny by check over $250 continued to Dec. 13 for a status review hearing in Stoughton District Court.

The charges stem from Decembers incidents in Avon. Costco Wholesale reported that Fox allegedly wrote checks for $388.14 on Dec. 22, 2010, $466.44 on Dec. 24, 2010, $424.23 on Dec. 27, 2010, and $298.42 on Dec. 21, 2010. All of the checks were returned for insufficient funds, according to the police incident report.

Judge dismisses larceny charge against Boston man

Dalvin Guillen-Diaz, 23, of 51 Adams St., Boston had a charge of larceny over $250 dismissed by a judge in Quincy District Court upon payment of $300 in court costs.

The charge stems from a May 28, 2009 incident in Braintree at 4:19 p.m. when police responded to a report two shoplifters fleeing Kmart with a loss prevention officer in pursuit. Police caught up with the suspects on the ramp at
the MBTA station. One of the suspects dropped a backpack and walked away from it. Loss prevention said the backpack contained stolen video games. The store also claimed that Guillen-Diaz exited Kmart with a backpack that contained 15 video games for Play Station 3 and TBOX 360 game systems without paying for the games. The merchandise was valued at $300.

Dorchester man charged with shoplifting ducks court appearance

Jerome Johnson, 21, of 9 Becker St., Dorchester had a default warrant issued for his arrest after he failed to appear in Quincy District Court on a charge of shoplifting over $100 by concealing merchandise.

The charge stems from a Dec. 22, 2010 incident at Macy's the South Shore Plaza in Braintree when loss prevention observed Johnson allegedly walking the floor in the men's collection
department carrying two pairs of Levis. He then quickly selected a pair of Tommy Hilfiger shirts and proceeded to the men's suit department with the items. He entered the fitting room and allegedly emerged with only three items. Missing was one of the shirts, according to the police incident report. Loss prevention claimed Johnson took two shirts with a combined value of $223.

Case of witness intimidation continued to hearing in January

Lincoln McDonald, 18, of 67 French Ave., Braintree had a charge of witness intimidation continued to Jan. 6 for a pretrial conference in Quincy District Court.

The charge stems from a March 18 incident in Braintree at 3:27 a.m. when police responded to the area of Gilbert Bean Road for a report of a man and woman dressed in black hooded sweatshirts who fled the scene after allegedly breaking into a motor vehicle. McDonald faces a separate charge of assault and battery that was continued to Jan. 6 for pretrial conference. The charge stems from a June 17 report of a disturbance near Thayer Public Library in Braintree on Washington Street. Police allege that McDonald pushed and then spat in a woman's face during the disturbance.

Milton

East Dennis man charged with possession of firearm on college campus back in court in December

Mathew J. Regan, 20, of 134 C Coles Pond Road, East Dennis had charges of carrying a firearm on school grounds, improper storage of a firearm, and leaving a firearm inside a motor vehicle continued to Dec. 20 for a pretrial hearing in Quincy District Court.

The charges stem from a Dec. 21, 2010 incident at Curry College in Milton. Police said that college public safety turned over to the department a Remington Model 597 semi-automatic rifle, a .22 caliber long rifle ammunition banana clip with a 32-round capacity, a 10-round capacity magazine and 40 .22 caliber long rifle hollow point cartridges.

Larceny from person charge involving alleged bogus computer sale dismissed

Isaiah Cooper, 24, of 16 Charlotte St., Apt. L2, Boston had a charge of larceny from a person dismissed in Quincy District Court for want of prosecution.

The charge stems from a Dec. 22, 2010 incident in Milton at 4:20 p.m. when police responded to a report of a person who met with Cooper in order to sell him a laptop computer for $100. Cooper allegedly asked the person for change for $100, which he later received and refused to give back when the person realized the transaction "made no sense," police said in the incident report. He also allegedly refused to pay for the computer, police allege.

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?

More from Canton