Crime & Safety
Canton Patch's Court Roundup: November 27 Edition
Canton Patch's Norfolk County Court Roundup. The following information came from various courts in Norfolk County. Where arrests or charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction unless otherwise stated.
Canton
Assault and battery case goes to trial in December
John Lyon, 19, of 1233 Arboretum Way, Canton, had two counts of assault and battery continued to Dec. 9 for a bench trial in Stoughton District Court. The charges stem from a Oct. 2 incident in Canton at 12:45 a.m. when police responded to a report of someone yelling. Police, in the incident report, said that Lyon allegedly pushed his mother and sister down onto the ground and was arrested and charged with assault and battery.
Probation continued for Canton man charged with damaging motor vehicle
Anthony Picardi-Rivera, 22, of 3204 Windsor Woods, Canton had probation on a charge of malicious damage to a motor vehicle continued to March 6, 2012 in Stoughton District Court. The charge stems from a Feb. 7, 2010 incident in Canton at 4 a.m. when police responded to Rayburn Road for a report of vandalism to a motor vehicle. The victim gave police a description of the suspect's vehicle, which was located in the back parking lot of the Windsor Woods apartment complex. The victim stated being awakened by dogs barking and observing a Jeep Cherokee parked in the driveway and a male running away from his grandmother's vehicle. The victim reported the suspect was carrying a baseball bat and a knife. All four tires on the grandmother's 2001 blue Ford Focus had been punctured, police said in the incident report.
Braintree
Daycare center worker charged with making bomb threat
McKenzie Phillipson, 19, of 106 Webster St., Rockland was arraigned in Quincy District Court on charges of making a bomb threat/hijack and threatening to commit a crime. The case was continued to Feb. 8 for a probable cause hearing to determine if there is sufficient evidence to proceed with the case.
The charges stem from a Oct. 13 incident at the Kindercare daycare center, 467 Granite St., Braintree at 8:04 p.m., when police responded to a report of threats made at the center. Witnesses said that corporate headquarters found that the threat had been posted on Phillipson's personal Twitter message board at 2 p.m. when she was allegedly at the center working. Phillipson, in the message, allegedly threatened to remove all the children from the daycare center and then "blow this place up," according to the police incident report. Phillipson later told police that she regretted the act and that she was "just kidding." Police searched the building but an explosive device was not found on the premises.
Braintree man charged with beating up girlfriend
Matthew R. Taylor, 25, of 51 Pearl St., Braintree was arraigned in Quincy District Court on a charge of assault and battery. The case has been continued to Feb. 10 for a hearing.
Find out what's happening in Cantonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The charge stems from a Nov. 19 incident in Braintree at 12:56 a.m. when police responded to a report of a dispute at a house on Pearl Street. Police allege that when Taylor's girlfriend said she wanted to break up with him, he grabbed her by the throat and then threw her up against a wall. The couple went inside the house and Taylor then allegedly threw her down on a bed. The woman fled the house with Taylor allegedly grabbing her by the hair and slamming her onto the ground. The woman then dialed 911.
Four teens charged with in beating
Joseph Clifford, 18, of 81 Hillside Road, Braintree, was arraigned in Quincy District Court on charges of assault and battery and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. A judge set bail at $750. Also arraigned was Matthew M. Fay, 19, of 580 Washington St., Braintree, charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault and battery; Connor J. Norton, 17, of 29 Harrison Ave., Braintree, charged with two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, and two counts of assault and battery on a police officer; and Eric G. Ceurvels, 18, of 74 Constitution Ave., Abington, charged with assault and battery and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. A judge set Fay's bail at $1,000 and Norton's and Ceurvels' at $500. All four youths are due back in court on Dec. 20 for a hearing.
The charges stem from a Nov. 6 incident in Braintree at 11:15 p.m. when police responded to a report of a youth who was beaten up by four other youths at his River Street house. Police said they found a "significant amount of damage" inside the house. The victim was found sitting at the kitchen table with a towel over his face. His nose and mouth were bleeding and his left eye was almost completely shut, police said in the incident report. The youth refused to tell police what had happened. A witness told police that Norton allegedly grabbed the victim by the throat and that the others began punching and kicking him. One of the suspects then picked up a water jug and threw it at the victim, who was on the floor, police said.
Weymouth man found guilty of third-offense shoplifting
Stephen A. Santarpio, 24, of 81 Rockway Ave., Apt. 312, Weymouth was found guilty in Quincy District Court on a charge of shoplifting by concealing merchandise as a third offense. A judge sentenced him to nine months in the Norfolk County House of Correction, 39 days committed and deemed served. The balance of the sentence was suspended to Nov. 20, 2012.
Find out what's happening in Cantonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The charges stem from an Oct. 14 incident in Braintree at 1 p.m. when police responded to a report of a shoplifter fleeing the Kmart department store in the director of the former Borders book store at 350 Grossman Ave. A Kmart loss prevention officer pointed out a parked van where Santarpio was believed to be hiding armed with a knife. Police arrested him and found him in possession of a 4-inch fishing knife, a T-shirt, and MP3 player that belonged to Kmart.
Alleged two-time shoplifter due back in court in February
Brian Cannon, 40, of 120 L St., Apt. 318, Boston had charges of shoplifting by asportation as a second offense and possession of a Class E drug, Alprazolam, continued to Feb. 12 for a pretrial hearing in Quincy District Court.
The charges stem from a Sept. 5 incident in Braintree at 5:29 p.m. when police responded to a report of two shoplifters at the Sports Authority. An employee pointed police to a brown sedan exiting the parking lot. Police stopped the vehicle and inside they recovered several pairs of sport socks, an NFL shirt, a pair of Champion sweat pants, black sneakers, two visors, a pair of jeans, Columbia jacket, and seven loose Alprazolam tablets without a prescription.
Also arrested in the case was James R. Dwyer, 44, of 34 Neponsett Ave., Apt. 2, Hyde Park on charges of shoplifting by asportation, possession of a Class A drug, and possession of a Class E drug. Police found Dwyer was carrying a prescription bottle of Oxycodone but inside the bottle was one Suboxin tablet and 16 Gabepentin pills for which he did not have prescriptions, police said in the incident report.
Case of indecent exposure continued for hearing in February
Brian J. Gillespie, 39, of 275 Elm St., Apt. 3B, Braintree had two counts of open and gross lewdness and indecent assault and battery on a person 14 or over continued to Feb. 1 for a pretrial conference in Quincy District Court.
The charges stem from a May 4 incident in Braintree at 2:30 p.m. when police responded to a report of Gillespie having allegedly tried to kiss a female neighbor and then exposed his genitals to her.
Milton
Case of alleged burglar to be continued in court
Antonio Brown, 24, of 25 Sylvester St., Brockton, had charges of day breaking and entering and placing a person in fear continued in Quincy District Court to Jan. 17 for a motion to suppress evidence.
The charges stem from a June 27 incident in Milton at 1 p.m. when police located and stopped a red 2001 Chevrolet Impala believed to have been used to commit a burglary on Brush Hill Road earlier in the morning. Inside the vehicle was a T-Mobile cell phone. Police dialed the number of the victim and the cell phone began ringing, according to the police incident report.
Case of habitual traffic offender to be continued in court
Victor M. Feliciano, 44, of 71 Heath St., Apt. 2, Jamaica Plain had charges of operating a motor vehicle after license revocation as a habitual traffic offender and providing a false name to police continued to Nov. 21 for a pretrial hearing in Quincy District Court.
The charges stem from a Nov. 7 incident in Milton at 1:45 p.m. when police stopped a vehicle on Blue Hill Avenue. Police determined that the photograph that appeared on Feliciano's driver's license did not match him and that his license had been revoked.
