Politics & Government
Planning Board Postpones Green Street Duplex Review
Redstone Building Corp. wants to build 20 units on 3.67 acres.
Although two neighbors came to Tuesday night's Planning Board meeting ready for a fight over the proposed 20-unit housing complex on Green Street, the battle was postponed until July 12 to allow engineering firms ample time to develop and review plans for the drainage off the site and the impact the complex will have on traffic.
The would build 10 duplexes on 3.67 acres. Two of the 20 units would be priced lower to qualify as affordable housing under the town's incentive zoning bylaw.
Redstone's engineering firms will report at the July meeting on the builder's plans for drainage from the site and how it expects the traffic to impact the area. The town will also have hired two engineering firms to review the drainage plans and the traffic issues and report to the planning board on their findings.
Find out what's happening in Marbleheadfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Steve Chaisson, who lives directly adjacent to the property, questioned the board on whether all the lots had been merged into one. He promised to return in July with an attorney to raise all of his objections to the project.
Richard Forbes, another neighbor, asked why the zoning board did not have to approve this project. He assumed it was being built under the state's 40B affordable housing guidelines. Town Planner Becky Curran explained that the proposed project would be built instead under the town's rules, which do not require the approval of the Zoning Board unless it violates other town requirements.
Find out what's happening in Marbleheadfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Paul Lynch, the attorney for Redstone, said it was unclear if the project would have to go before the zoning board. The incentive zoning bylaw eliminates the town's usual requirements for yard setbacks, but not the requirement that houses be no more than 35 feet high. The rear side of these houses will probably be higher than 35 feet off the ground because of the sharp drop off of the land, Lynch said.
The proposal, which will require a special permit from the planning board, must also be approved by the Conservation Commission because it borders on wetlands. There is a concern that portions of the site are contaminated by runoff from the town's nearby landfill.
The planning board members toured the property last Saturday to see the site in person.
Fire Chief Jason Gilliland was on the tour and said John Muldoon, who owns Redstone has agreed to add a second entrance to the property and will double the width of the street to accommodate a fire engine.
“They have met my requirements,” Gilliland said.
