Crime & Safety

Milford Getting Some Coronavirus Equipment After FEMA Diversion

Milford Fire Chief William Touhey recently saw a shipment of personal protective equipment vanish after federal officials intervened.

MILFORD, MA — After a large order of medical supplies was effectively cancelled by federal officials last week, Milford is on track to get a shipment of personal protective equipment — but it's only a fraction of what was initially requested.

Last week, Milford Fire Chief William Touhey told WCVB that the department had ordered 30,000 gowns and 2,500 masks. But the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) stepped in and diverted the supplies to other areas affected by coronavirus.

"At the last minute, we were notified it wouldn't be coming, that the government had stepped in and taken possession," Touhey told the station.

Find out what's happening in Milfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

On Thursday, Touhey told Patch that the department is getting 100 gowns from the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency. Touhey is still looking for other places to source PPE.

Touhey had intended to use the gear for the fire department, but mostly to donate to the Milford Regional Medical Center, which is experiencing a supply shortage. The fire department has adequate supplies at the moment, Touhey said.

Find out what's happening in Milfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"But that can change quickly," he said.

As of Wednesday, Milford had 71 confirmed coronavirus cases, according to state figures. Milford Regional had 47 patients being treated for the virus, including nine in intensive care.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.