Community Corner

Salem Removes Last Of Downtown Kiosks

Architect John F. Collins had included them in his plans for remaking Salem's Derby Square.

SALEM, MA -- The city removed the last of at least three kiosks that had been used to post fliers and community notices in Salem's Derby Square. John F. Collins, the Philadelphia architect hired to remake Salem's blighted downtown in the early 1970s, had included them as a way to increase community connections by sharing information in the pre-social media era.

New York Times architectural critic Ada Louise Huxtable praised Collins's work and attention to details like the kiosks in a 1975 review of the then nearly-complete remake of Salem's downtown. "The city's core of handsomely recycled old buildings complemented by excellent new buildings, united in an inviting network of green pedestrian passages, puts its emphasis on the human dimension and the highest standards of urban design," Huxtable wrote.

In recent years, however, some of those details have been removed as they have fallen into disrepair. The original lighting bollards that lit pedestrian passageways have been removed. "The steps leading up to the Old Town Hall are slowly beginning to chip and the kiosk's awning has been cheapened with badly painted local scenes," the Salem-based John F. Collins Society noted on its Website before the last kiosk were removed.

Find out what's happening in Salemfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"The reasons given are it was old and broken," added Salem Digest, which first reported this story on its Facebook page. "Old is undeniable. Broken? Yes, through lack of maintenance and upgrade. Like many of the original features of the pedestrian mall, it has fallen victim to a vision that desires clearer sightlines and less maintenance."

"The kiosk was not removed because of 'sightlines' and that was never stated. In addition, despite what [Salem Digest] wrote, the City has, in fact, conducted regular maintenance to keep the electrical service there working for decades," Dominick Pangallo, chief of staff to Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll, said in an email Monday. "However because it is an exposed, outdoor electrical service it had simply reached the end of its functioning life and continued use of it was presenting a true safety hazard. The life safety of the volunteers and staff who utilize the electrical service in the square for events and markets was of primary consideration."

Find out what's happening in Salemfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Pangallo added that contrary to what Salem Digest posted on Facebook, the city was conducting a study to look at possible replacments for the kiosk.

"While the new bulletin board will not be in that same precise location, our goal is to keep it in the Derby Square area in general. Furthermore, there will be a new electrical service constructed on the perimeter of the square, which will enable the lower plaza area – where the old kiosk stood – to be better utilized for Farmer’s Market and Flea Market carts, performance stages, and so forth," he said.

Subscribe to Salem Patch for more local news and real-time alerts.

Photo by John F. Collins Society.

Dave Copeland can be reached at dave.copeland@patch.com or by calling 617-433-7851. Follow him on Twitter (@CopeWrites) and Facebook (/copewrites).

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.