Crime & Safety
Marian Burbine Trial Date Moved To Aug. 9
Wife of accused child molester John Burbine made court appearance Wednesday.

Marian Burbine, the wife of accused serial child molester John Burbine—whose alleged victims included Stoneham children—now has an expected trial date of Aug. 9.
She faces six counts of reckless endangerment of a child, and two counts of operating an unlicensed day care business.
Appearing with his client at a Wednesday afternoon hearing at Middlesex Superior Court, attorney John Ruehrwein told the court that he was seeking additional time because of the large amount of evidence associated with the case. The previous trial date for Mrs. Burbine had been June 25.
Mrs. Burbine is next due back in court on April 25 for a suppression hearing, with a pre-trial conference set for July 30. Ruehrwein told the court that there would be a motion to suppress, but that a decision on a motion to dismiss would not be made until the discovery process is over.
Mrs. Burbine and her husband were the proprietors of the former Waterfall Education Center, which offered tutoring and babysitting services but which was not properly licensed. John Burbine was a level 1 sex offender stemming from a years-old conviction that allowed him to avoid detection even as he worked among children.
She has remained under home confinement in Wakefield since late last year.
Find out what's happening in Stonehamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
READ MORE:
- Legislation Would Allow Assets to be Seized in Child Sex Cases
- Lawmakers Propose Comprehensive Reforms To Sex Offender Registry
- Trial Date Set For Wakefield Man Accused of Sexually Abusing Stoneham Children
- Terms Set For Home Confinement of Wife in Child Sex Abuse Case
Find out what's happening in Stonehamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.