Health & Fitness
Wilmington Has Hundreds Of People In Travel Quarantine
The town's case count has remained at 10 or below so far, despite hundreds of people returning from trips out of state.
WILMINGTON, MA — Hundreds of Wilmington residents are in quarantine due to travel out of state, Health Director Shelly Newhouse told the Board of Selectmen at their recent meeting.
Newhouse said Aug. 17 that the state notified her of 100s of cases.
"I expect that to probably go up and up and up, as we're still in the summer months," she said.
Find out what's happening in Wilmingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The travelers have not resulted in an uptick in local cases, she noted. The town's active case count has remained at 10 or lower for months. On Thursday, Newhouse reported five active cases.
Fire Chief William Cavanaugh also updated the board on preparations for a potential second wave. The town received 11,000 KN95 masks, 11,000 surgical masks, 160 safety glasses and over 1,000 face shields, all ordered in March, Cavanaugh said.
Find out what's happening in Wilmingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The full meeting is available here from WCTV.
Christopher Huffaker can be reached at 412-265-8353 or chris.huffaker@patch.com.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.