Crime & Safety
UPDATE: Two Teenage Suspects Held on $250K Bail in DeNapoli Shooting Case
The two female suspects are the third and fourth arraigned in connection to the jewelry store robbery and shooting of Officer Robert DeNapoli.
Wednesday, 4:25 p.m.—According to the Middlesex District Attorney's Office, both Eriannis Murillo, 17, of Dorchester, and Allegra Martinez, 18, homeless, have been charged with masked armed robbery (2 counts), possession of a firearm, and assault with the intent to murder (2 counts).
“With today’s developments, the investigation has reached its culmination and we now look forward to the just prosecution of these four defendants,” said Woburn Police Chief Robert Ferullo. “I am thankful to the Middlesex DA’s Office, the Massachusetts State Police, the Boston Police Department, and all of the other agencies that partnered with the dedicated and committed men and women of the Woburn Police Department throughout this investigation. The department’s thoughts continue to be with Officer DeNapoli as he continues his recovery."
“With today’s arrests, all four of those responsible for this violent and brazen incident are identified and will be held accountable for their actions,” added District Attorney Gerry Leone in a statement late Wednesday afternoon. “The defendants’ actions, individually and in concert with each other, put multiple lives at risk and seriously injured a veteran police officer. We commend the persistence and cooperative work of multiple law enforcement agencies which resulted in today’s arrests.”
Find out what's happening in Woburnfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Wednesday, 3:25 p.m.—Judge James Barretto of Woburn District Court ordered Allegra Martinez, the fourth suspect in the DeNapoli shooting and Musto robbery, held on $250,000 cash bail or $2.5 million bond. Martinez, 18, was arraigned in Woburn District Court Wednesday afternoon, just hours after the third suspect, Erianiss Murillo, 17, or Dorchester, was arraigned and held under similar circumstances.
Assistant District Attorney Marian Ryan said Martinez used a cell phone to help the other suspects case Musto Jewelers in anticipation of the Sept. 6 robbery attempt. Martinez had been to Woburn “many times,” said Ryan, who said she was “anticipating her eighteenth birthday” and an expensive present. The Sept. 6 robbery was just shy of Martinez's 18th birthday, added Ryan. Martinez is now living in Providence, but was living with Murillo at the time of the robbery and shooting, according to Ryan.
Find out what's happening in Woburnfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Martinez surrendered to police after a warrant was issued for her arrest last night. Neither Martinez nor Murillo has a previous criminal record, according to Ryan.
Wednesday, 3:10 p.m.—Woburn Police Officer Robert DeNapoli had no comment about the latest arraignments in connection with his shooting. DeNapoli was in Woburn District Court for the proceedings. Assistant District Attorney Marian Ryan said DeNapoli still has trouble with his eyesight stemming from the shooting, along with other injuries.
Wednesday, 3:05 p.m.—During Wednesday's arraignment, Assistant District Attorney Marian Ryan said the high bail request was warranted in this case because of “evasive tactics already employed by the defendant.”
Ryan said the defendant, Erianiss Murillo, 17, of Dorcester, was involved in “several trips to Woburn” to case Musto Jewelers in advance of the botched Sept. 6 robbery, which led to the shooting of Officer Robert DeNapoli. Still, when asked, Murillo “categorically denied being in the city” to law enforcement officials.
Murillo is next due in court for a probable cause hearing Monday, Nov. 28 at 9 a.m.
Wednesday, 2:30 p.m.—Erianiss Murillo, a17-year-old Dorchester teen, will be held on $250,000 cash bail, a $2 million bond, after a brief arraignment in Woburn District Court. A fourth suspect is expected to be arraigned this afternoon after turning herself in. Authorities said Allegra Martinez will be arraigned during the afternoon session. Authorities allege that Erianiss Murillo, 17, was the person buzzed into Musto Jewelers during the Sept. 6 armed robbery.
Wednesday, 11:30 a.m.—The arraignment of 17-year-old Erianiss Murillo has been pushed back to this afternoon, according to officials.
Stay with Woburn Patch for details as they become available.
Wednesday, 10:30 a.m.—A third suspect faces arraignment in Woburn District Court Wednesday afternoon on charges related to the Sept. 6 shooting of Woburn Police Officer Robert DeNapoli.
Erianiss Murillo, 17, of Dorchester, has been arrested on charges related to the shooting, said Cara O'Brien, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex District Attorney's office. Murillo is expected to be arraigned around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Previously in the investigation, was and has been hospitalized since. He was arraigned from his hospital bed Oct. 12; the arraignment was
in the crime Sept. 16 and plead not guilty. He was also held on $500,000 cash bail. Baez-Cruz is charged with armed robbery and armed assault with intent to murder.
The Middlesex District Attorney's Office alleges that Matos took part in the Sept. 6 Officer Robert DeNapoli was shot several times while responding to the robbery. He was from Lahey Clinic.
Assistant District Attorney Marian Ryan alleged that Matos was the suspect who shot Officer DeNapoli. Ryan said Wednesday afternoon that Matos "was shooting the entire time," as he fled the scene of Musto's Jewelers.
According to the DA's office, Matos and Baez-Cruz grabbed $100,000 in jewelry from Musto's before fleeing the store. When Officer DeNapoli responded to the scene, shots were fired.
Matos fired and hit DeNapoli, and then mounted the hood of the police cruiser and continued to fire shots at the stricken officer, Ryan said during a September court appearance. DeNapoli's index finger was shot off, and he lost grip of his own pistol. Now on the ground, DeNapoli sustained several more gunshot wounds in the exchange, according to Ryan.
On foot, Matos crossed into some backyards after the sped off, said prosecutors. Pursuing officers caught up with him and Matos fired on them, touching off a second gun battle, according to Ryan. One shot struck a passing car, she said.
The second firefight ended when police shot Matos behind a home on Lexington Street, said Ryan.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
